official headgaskets toast :(

Captainharley6.0

Reaction score
just back from ford dealer to confirm my headgaskets are toast, I though I had oil in the coolant but its soot from exhaust and they said I have major pressure issues. mechanic said rest of the motor is in good shape injectors etc
only thing that could be an issue is cracked heads when removed which can be even more. I live in atlantic canada and I know the dealership is expensive at 5k. and 74$/ hr labour
does anyone know any decent mechanics in atlantic canada?
how much should I be able to get gaskets done for?
mechanic at ford told me not to drive the truck any distance and said he left the rad cap a bit loose to let pressure out
how big of mess am I in for if I can find another mechanically inclined person to try cab on gasket job?

I have ARB's and sinister egr delete already so for parts I was thinking
oem gaskets
oil cooler
dummy plugs
thermostat
287k on motor

any advice appreciated!!

Last edited:

webb06

Reaction score
Our labor rate is more than that and our gasket jobs are usually close to $3500. I don't see why theirs is so much.

Mdub707

Reaction score
That labor rate is CHEAP for diesel work... but the total amount seems correct for a higher labor rate, if that makes sense.

I think my buddy paid like $8k at the dealer to have his done and that included 2 new heads (~$1k a piece) and some other miscellaneous parts like an HPOP and one injector.

Mattmann

Reaction score
That labor rate is CHEAP for diesel work... but the total amount seems correct for a higher labor rate, if that makes sense.

I think my buddy paid like $8k at the dealer to have his done and that included 2 new heads (~$1k a piece) and some other miscellaneous parts like an HPOP and one injector.

Same here. I paid like 8,400 but that was new heads, arp studs, oil cooler, delete, etc.... Oh and ficm and new front timing cover.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

Captainharley6.0

Reaction score
Wow these are pricey motors to work on, i should have the heads sent out too, if heads not cracked won't be too bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Mdub707

Reaction score
Well, they're not cheap that's true, but when you bring it to a FORD dealer for this kind of work, of course they're going to be the most expensive. I'd bring it to one of the sponsors on here... someone you know does quality work and wont kill you with high labor rates like the dealers...

Though, this is the cheapest dealer diesel labor rate I think I've seen.

Latest posts

Members online