Oil Analysis....Potassium?

BlueWaffle

Reaction score
So I got the results from an oil analysis on a truck I am looking to purchase. Everything looks good except for the sodium and potassium which are 20 and 39 ppm respectively. Obviously some coolant is getting into the oil. Is that something that would be considered normal for an all stock 100000 mile motor with the egr still in place? Typically is that something that is fixed with a simple ****** or would you stay away from that truck? It's a 12, 1 Owner, clean oasis, pretty consistent maintenance and oil changes on the CARFAX.

sootie

Reaction score
you need to talk to jimdawg185 on here... Lubrication Engineers.

BlueWaffle

Reaction score
I welcome his input for sure but I know that by reading the report that I have traces of coolant are getting in the oil so my real question is would that be considered somewhat normal on this motor with the EGR still in place? The only other real way that could happen is a cracked head correct?

jimdawg185

Reaction score
Lol! Thanks for the accolades fellas.

That is more than likely coolant, but the missing variable is how many miles are on the oil. Base number and viscosity can help as well. 20 and 39 ppm at 15k miles oil time isnt a big deal. 20 and 39 at 1k miles is probably trouble.
Send me the full report so I can see the whole picture.
[email protected]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jimdawg185

Reaction score
I welcome his input for sure but I know that by reading the report that I have traces of coolant are getting in the oil so my real question is would that be considered somewhat normal on this motor with the EGR still in place? The only other real way that could happen is a cracked head correct?

There are plenty of places that small amounts of coolant can get into the oil.

BlueWaffle

Reaction score
jim, email is on the way thanks! the oil report said it has 15000 on the oil but the carfax report said it had the oil changed 3k miles ago.

ToMang07

Reaction score
IIRC, putting Rev-X (or similar additives) in causes them to read high as well, don't they?

jimdawg185

Reaction score
Potassium, but not usually sodium. And its usually quite a bit more than that.

Last edited:

Sterling6.7

Reaction score
OP, just for reference. Pretty low miles for comparison though.

image.jpg1_zpsjfgrqzjh.png

Latest posts

Members online