Oil Analysis Results

doo dah

Reaction score
Blackstone analysis came back high in Potassium and Sodium with antifreeze % at .58. Is it possible something got in when the turbo was installed (EGR, CCV, etc...removed/disabled)? I am going to run another analysis but wonder if I am getting coolant in do I replace head gaskets now or monitor at each change, and if I monitor at what level do I park it and get the heads done? I have 186,000 on the truck and the oil sample had 7500 miles on it. Rotella T6 with amzoil bypass system and Zmax, This was the statement;

ERIC: These results may not be what you were hoping for. There's a lot of potassium and sodium in this
sample, and those are both markers for coolant contamination. The additive you mentioned is
solvent-based and it probably cooked off, so it shouldn't be influencing these results. Copper shows wear at
brass/bronze parts compared to universal averages, which show typical wear for this type of engine after
about 6,500 miles of oil use. The trace of fuel is fine and the TBN is strong at 8.6, but use just 5,000 miles
next and watch for coolant loss. Check back to monitor.

jimdawg185

Reaction score
Blackstone isn't an ASTM certified lab, and they have burnt many of my customers, as well as their relationship with Amsoil. I don't trust anything that comes from their lab anymore. That being said, I've never seen them miss report sodium or potassium. Those can be found in additives like rev X and Archoil. Not sure about zmax. But it being solvent based worries me, if it's true. But that has nothing to do with if it has those molecules in it or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

doo dah

Reaction score
Ok? So are you saying I should get a 2nd analysis from a different company with the oil that is currently in the truck? Should I just continue to run and monitor at certain intervals whether changing the oil or not? I don't want to overreact and get heads pulled etc...but at the same time I don't want to dismiss it and end up with steam coming from the tailpipe. I am aware of the 6.0 and 6.4 head gasket failures but haven't seen too many reports on the 6.7.

doo dah

Reaction score
Talked to my buddy at the shop and he said good chance some got in during the swap. Going to send a sample to Jim and have him take a look then go from there.

cappa

Reaction score
Yeah i thought i had heard before that the dealer usually changes the oil when doing a turbo swap because of this exact thing.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Yes, an oil change is required according to the workshop manual for this reason.

mikeeg02

Reaction score
As said above, the turbo is liquid cooled and a turbo swap on a 6.7 dumps the antifreeze into the oil unless you drain the antifreeze first, and even then you will lose what's in the turbo into the oil. This requires an oil change. I wouldn't do an extended interval change on the first one either, in case there is still some antifreeze lingering. After the first oil change, after a turbo swap I would think you're safe.

Latest posts

Members online