oil bypass questions

gjoski515

Reaction score
Ok completely rebuilt the motor and went with MDP'S oil cooler and oil filter relocation kit, does anyone run a low pressures oil gauge and what are your pressures? And now im having long crank times if the truck sits, anyone have and info for me

jimdawg185

Reaction score
Depending on ambient temps, I would run 5-40 so it can build cold pressure quicker.

outacntrl

Reaction score
I think someone else was having the same issue and ended up taking the whole setup off because they couldn't get it figured out. Sounds like it needs a check valve somewhere to keep the cooler from bleeding off.

jimdawg185

Reaction score
I don't think you are loosing pressure. The oil is higher in viscosity when its cooler and because of the longer it has to travel with the bypass its taking longer to build pressure. Running a high quality synthetic 5w40 will help the vis stay lower at lower temps because of its higher VI. I am having the same issue with my RCD bypass. It was worse in the winter, as its colder, and better when its warmer. I have a low pressure gauge so I can see whats happening in real time.

suprdzlduty

Reaction score
Not discounting what you said, but the problem seems to be the relocation of the oil cooler, rather than the viscosity of the oil. ..as said, a properly placed check valve or redesign of the system. A lot of plumbing to pressurize and the long cranks would be due to oil draining or siphoning back...and yes, others have had this same issue.

gjoski515

Reaction score
so where would this check valve go, we are using dash 10 line, would a soft seated check, would it be on the discharge side the cooler?

jimdawg185

Reaction score
There is a night and day difference in pressure build time with just a 10 degree C rise in temp. If it were a priming issue, temp would either not effect or make it worse not better. My truck is a 6.4 and this is obviously a 6.0, so there are differences in some of the oil path and volume. I know for a fact that vis is playing an issue, I do this kind of engineering for a living, and get paid very well to do it. But you won't know until you try. Just make sure you don't restrict volume too much, and make sure its a high quality seal in the valve. You don't need it coming apart and causing trouble down stream.

ford rules

Reaction score
I was the one having the same issues, check valve won't work. Already tried that. I'd put a thermo bypass before the oil cooler on the supply side to bypass the cooler till it's warm, that in turn should keep from having to fill the entire oil cooler each time it sits. I was running 5w40 as well so the viscosity isn't the issue.
I'm not saying that will work for sure but it's the next thing I was gonna try.

jimdawg185

Reaction score
I am working on a bypass filtration unit that works as a kidney loop. You keep your factory cooler, and flip a switch when you want or need it running to give it more cooling. Keep that thing around and I can help you later on to mate it to my system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lenzhotrod

Reaction score
Are you running it as a bypass system or as the main oil system? Two different systems, two different uses.

Latest posts

Members online