Oil cooler leak

mx racer 161

Reaction score
I have a 2000 f250 and the oil cooler is leaking i just seen it today. I plan on fixing but will be next week. I have to drive 200 miles to you guys think it will be alright to drive and just keep an eye on the oil.

ghohouston

Reaction score
I'd be sure to keep an extra gallon of oil with me in case the o ring completely fails on you, but I wouldn't be too worried about it.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
ic the o ring completely fails on it then you will be dead in the water.. it will pour out of it quicker then you can get it in... now if its just seeping and when it heats up it stops seeping then you will be ok.

live life full throttle

mx racer 161

Reaction score
Thanks guys. It made the trip fine with no issues. But the next day after i got home went to start and had a big puddle of oil under it so time to replace now.

mx racer 161

Reaction score
Yeah thats what i figured. Do you recommend getting a whole new assembly or just the orings and gaskets

79jasper

Reaction score
I ended up waiting a year before changing mine from the time it started leaking. It started midway through winter.
Only leaked when the temps got below a certain point, then would quit after running for a few minutes.
When I changed them, I already had the kit on hand, just forgot about it. Well it got cold again, and was leaking worse. Lol
Then when putting it back together something didn't look right. The filter bypass valve was gone. Still had to drive to work, so the next weekend I pulled it again. Lol
Fun times.

Sent from my SM-T537R4 using Tapatalk

mx racer 161

Reaction score
Well i have everything on the way. With 329,xxx miles on original seals i feel i got my use out of those orings lol

Arisley

Reaction score
To squeeze the ends back on the cooler over those big o-rings. Easier than pushing or sitting. Ratchet strap would also work, I had the bar clamp handy.

WILD_PHIL

Reaction score
I noticed a leak on mine so I monitored the coolant and oil level. Over a couple of months neither the coolant or oil showed any issues so I quite monitoring it. Last week I checked everything out again and the oil was barely registering. Well then I noticed it was all in my coolant. I instantly wanted to slap myself in the face. Lol So what steps should I take now? I know at a minimum I will have to change the gaskets and flush the coolant system throughly, any other suggestions? Things to look at or check out? Motor only has 30k miles on it.

E99 F350/zf6/guages/arp/comp/stellite/ billet wheel/ bellowed... Need more fuel and more air.

WILD_PHIL

Reaction score
Anyone?

E99 F350/zf6/guages/arp/comp/stellite/ billet wheel/ bellowed... Need more fuel and more air.

Bluke

Reaction score
Replace the o rings and gaskets with ford parts only. Then flush the coolant system. Use simple green or cascade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WILD_PHIL

Reaction score
Simple green and water? I assume I should let it heat up and dump it and do it all over again or just let it run? Thanks for the advice.

WILD_PHIL

Reaction score
Well thank you very much sir. I will be doing this in the morning.

Latest posts

Members online