Oil cooler rebuild

TjMiller

Reaction score
I got a Motorcraft overhaul kit which includes the new oil cooler. Im not sure how the thing comes a part so I can replace the heat exchanger. Sounds like its pressed together and once its bolted to the motor that holds it together? Looking for tricks to separate it as I don't want to damage the aluminum ends...

m j

Reaction score
I dont recall disassembly being too difficult
you are correct that nothing holds it together other then the end caps bolted to the engine.
I found it easier to use my press to put it back together then any of the more creative methods. i did try a strap but it seemed more likely to cause damage then a press

MossBack

Reaction score
To get it apart is easy. Grab a big rubber mallet and take it apart. Put The new Orings on cooler and some lube and smack it back together. Not rocket science but don't get crazy and break anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Matt_P

Reaction score
I just put them in a vice, use a rubber mallet and piece of hard wood and pop the ends off. Put new o rings on the new cooler and lube them up and press it back together

David N

Reaction score
Yep. For reinstall, I used vaseline, and alot of it. I did the ratchet strap method because mine wanted to slide back apart when you released the tension. So I left the strap on it, installed it and then took the strap off.

Magnum PD

Reaction score
Yep. For reinstall, I used vaseline, and alot of it. I did the ratchet strap method because mine wanted to slide back apart when you released the tension. So I left the strap on it, installed it and then took the strap off.

You are talkin about the oil cooler right? Not some taboo sex act of course.

LOL

TjMiller

Reaction score
Ok I got the ends off. This thing was under salt water so it put up a fight but not too bad. Now I have questions about some of the stuff going on within the oil filter housing. I see two passages that have snap rings, one has a flat carbon fiber looking piece in it which almost appears to be a sort of check/relief valve. Should the snap rings be removed and cleaned inside? Anything get replaced here?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.