Oil Cooler?

F.X.5

Reaction score
I have an 08 Job 1 6.4 CCLB 4x4 I purchased last fall and I'm working on making sure everything is in good working condition before driving it much this summer. Its Spartan tuned and fully deleted with 130k miles. I noticed the other night that when in the throttle (engine load 30%+) the oil temp rises fairly rapidly and takes a long time (more than I think it should) to cool back down. Sometimes my ect and eot will be 20 degrees different, oil being the warmer of the two. I'm assuming my oil cooler may be starting to clog up and to my knowlege it is original.
I've been doing some research and haven't really come up with much info on the oil coolers on the market (other than the factory Ford cooler). I was wondering if an aftermarket cooler (if availiable) was worth the extra cash or if going with a Ford cooler would be fine? I'm also assuming the oil cooler is located under the turbos? Didn't find much info on replacing them either, alot for the 6.0, not much for the 6.4. Let me know what ya think. Thanks.

4.0l sahara

Reaction score
Same as a 6.0 for the most part. I would get a oem cooler, flush the cooling system and get a coolant filter.

Erikclaw

Reaction score
Everyone uses the Ford cooler as far as I know. They are known to go out or start having a differential in temps like you are describing.

F.X.5

Reaction score
Looks like I'll be going with a factory cooler. Already have coolant filter from dieselsite. Thumbs up to those guys, excellent product and packaging compared to some of the other parts I ordered at the same time from different companies.

Turbos do have to come off to get to the cooler correct?

04hdfatboy

Reaction score
Just as an FYI bullet proof diesel has a half kit that is meant for oil coolers that are starting to get clogged. Check it out. They make quality products.

F.X.5

Reaction score
Well, turbos are off and cab is still completely intact. My uppipe bolts were extremely tight and fought me for hours on end, but, turbos are on the bench.

After taking a closer look at the oil cooler, I'm fairly certain that the intake manifold must now be removed. If thats the case, I was wondering how much of a gain I would get from running an RCD ported intake? I've heard they really help and that the facory manifold is very restrictive. But I'm not about to spend 600 dollars on something that I'll never benefit from since I have a basically stock truck. Thoughts?

Reaction score
Intake doesn't have to come off bud ,take the adapter off(top off oil cooler) there remove oil cooler base separate. Best of luck.

Last edited:

F.X.5

Reaction score
I can see where it might be possible but I'm not sold on it. The bolts on mine (probably the same as every 6.4) seem to be really tucked up under the intake. I'll try it tomorrow and see how it goes.

On a side note, what a horribly designed oil cooler. After looking at the new part for a solid 15 minutes, I'm still confused as to what they were thinking when the designed it lol Not impressed to say the least.

F.X.5

Reaction score
Removing the intake would definatly make the oil cooler a lot easier. I'll have to order some intake gaskets and some new uppipe bolts from Ford tomorrow. The list keeps growing....

Oh, fun fact, the two bolts holding my turbos together were completely MIA. No clue what happened to them as they are no where to be found. That may explain why the truck felt kinda sluggish around town and going up hills at lower speeds. I'll get some bolts in it and see how she runs when she gets back together.

Reaction score
No bolts hold them together, there is a special too from ford that holds the space between hem for install. But the actual bolts don't actually come in there. I've had a lot of people come back and tell me we left them out. Lol I'm just gonna start putting bolts in there lol.

F.X.5

Reaction score
So wait, there is no bolts? Just threaded holes? lol Thanks Ford.

So they're just supposed to sit there and kinda hang out? I could spin the gasket between them with my fingers before i even started taking them out (other than the heat shield of course).

F.X.5

Reaction score
Alright, I think I have it all figure out except one thing. I went to change the actual oil cooler tonight. I took the old one apart and went to put the top piece on the new cooler. None of the bolt holes are threaded. Is that normal? Are you suppose to make your own threads? Seems kinda iffy being that if those bolts arn't torqued correctly, oil and coolant will mix together. I'm not sure if I got a bad one or if you really are supposed to make your own threads.

Fordtrucks

Reaction score
I searched and this thread was help full. Thanks! Anyways, I'm on a couple hundred mile trip home. Engine coolant at 203 like normal but EOT was up to 225.. how hot can I let it get before I need to pull it over and shut it off?

Fordtrucks

Reaction score
What's a good coolant flushing agent that might clean up the oil cooler? Anything?

Latest posts

Members online