Oil in coolant!

Jason

Reaction score
Alright guys, I've got a good amount of oil in my coolant. I do not have an oil cooler on my truck, but there is what appears to be a block off plate where one would be. I don't have fuel or coolant in the oil, which is leaving me a tad baffled. Any ideas, thing to check out etc??? I've gotta figure this out.

Jason

Reaction score
It's engine oil. I have an oil cooler, I had a friend looking under the reck for it, as I wasn't dressed to crawl under it and look. But I guess that's what I get for having someone else do it. My question is...the coolant itself is clean looking, but the walls of the degas bottle are caked with oil residue pretty heavily. Is there any chance of getting coolant back washed into the oil system? I did a test for fuel in the oil, and that checked out. My concern is long term damage caused by this issue, and any other possible issues. Headgaskets??? I don't hear much about headgaskets on 7.3's, but anything is possible I guess. Since it's got colder, it will smoke white out of the exhaust when cranking it, and for the first few minutes of it running. I just chocked that up to it being un-ignited fuel, but it makes me wonder if there's a bigger issue. It's due for an oil change, can oil cause that problem? I was making an attempt to sell it to a member here, but I can't with a clear conscience sell it to them with this issue, if it's bugger than a new cooler, and flushing the system. I'd like to make the deal work out, but if I've got to spend some money to make bigger underlying problems right, I'm not going to do it, as I wouldn't be able to sleep knowing I sold somebody something with an issue. This has been the most quirk/problem free vehicle I've owned. Hell, my Denali had to have a transmissionput in at 40k miles, and this one went 240k before I encountered a problem with it.

dietoremain

Reaction score
Are you sure its not diesel, its very much similar to oil thats for sure. otherwise yes change the oil cooler..

444 ci

Reaction score
mine diud the same thing. my oil cooler was bad it had oil in the coolent. as far as the white smoke goes mine does the same thing when it gets cold i wouldent sweat it.

Reaction score
What's wrong Jason ??? I wear my tuxedo t-shirt when ever I change my oil.........The one with the sleeves cut off not the good one with sleeves that I wear out to dinner.

Latest posts

Members online