Oil Leak and IPR question

RedSmokey

Reaction score
Is the connector for the plug (black plastic where the connector plugs in to the truck located on top of the IPR) supposed to be loose/wiggle? Like 1/4" of play side to side and some up and down movement? If not, is it possibly to leak oil from there?

golfer

Reaction score
rotationally, yes... the cylindrical 'coil' can rotate a bit without affecting operation.

and oil isn't anywhere near the electrical components of the IPR, externally.

99F250Smitty

Reaction score
Been trying to track this oil leak down, and it appears to be wettest by that plug on the IPR, most of the IPR has oil on it though.

golfer

Reaction score
Been trying to track this oil leak down, and it appears to be wettest by that plug on the IPR, most of the IPR has oil on it though.

there ARE about 22 different plugs/fittings/o-rings on the heads..all "above" the IPR that could be the culprit...aside from the IPR itself just not being TIGHT into the pump body.

but an (external) HPOil leak would have to be infinitesimal to NOT bathe the entire underhood w/ 4 gallons of oil in a second.

I would simply attack it by degreasing/brake cleaning/compressed air-ing the engine valley until it is spotless and bone dry....and THEN try to locate the source of the leak...but the IPR solenoid/coil isn't one of them (unless it's a total freak with a fractured IPR body..but again..verrrry unlikely)

99F250Smitty

Reaction score
Thanks for the input golfer, I will try to get it all cleaned up and find the leak.

I said the same thing to Alex when we were looking, that I thought if that was where the leak was the entire underside of the hood would be covered.

Thanks again.

Latest posts

Members online