Oil Pan Coatings

Viking

Reaction score
So I have fallen victim of a rusting oil pan and want to know of a good coating for the new one I will be buying. I haven't had the best of luck finding a solid response on the web to any specific company or product, so I am turning to you all for a little guidance. I live where the road salt and sand and mud beat up the under side so the coating is probably a necessary thing second round.

Thanks in advance!

backwoodsboy

Reaction score
Powder coat would be my #1 solution.
As far as a spray/roll on paint, I would recomend Hammerite by MasterChem. There are a ton of 'Hammerite' copies offered by different manufactures, but I've had my best results with the MasterChem formula. The axles and link bars on my wheeler are painted with it, and hold up well to the abuse of being dragged across rocks.
It does bond best with an already weathered/rusted surface, so you'd have to wire-wheel the new pan and hit it with some primer to promote adhesion.

backwoodsboy

Reaction score
Salt will eat the powder coating right off. I want to try some spray on bed liner to coat may pan.

Where are you getting this from?
I've powder-coated plenty of marine parts that see salt water 24/7 and never had coating fail due to corrosion. I've had to blast and re-coat parts due to chips and scratching, but never due to corrosion.

GreenF350

Reaction score
Salt will eat the powder coating right off. I want to try some spray on bed liner to coat may pan.

This doesn't seem right in my experience. One of the companies that powder coat around here took and powder coated some random pieces and then threw them in the Gulf of Mexico for a year. No corrosion what so ever. It was part of their marketing, but I know the guy that ran it and they didn't put any effort into it, literally coated them and tossed them into the water.
-Aaron

4.0l sahara

Reaction score
I've never had problems with a quality powder coat with the right prep. Is it invinsible no but it's a lot better than the paint that comes on it. The best thing you can do is keep the under side clean during the winter with a pressure washer don't let the salt sit on there for months.

Atsah

Reaction score
Fluid film, once a year.. May as well spray the whole underside while your at it..

Viking

Reaction score
Thanks again for all the suggestions. I am looking into all of them. I just need to see if my buddy is up for the non engine removal technique.

JD3020

Reaction score
Fluid film, once a year.. May as well spray the whole underside while your at it..

Its a 7.3, they take care of that themselves. LOL

I was too cheap to powdercoat mine, so i got some chassis paint and put 2 coats of primer and 3 top-coats on it. This pan was clean when i started with it, so hopefully i can keep it that way.

97powerstroke

Reaction score
Maybe the places around here don't know how to powder coat then. It won't stand up to the stuff the put on the roads during the winter.

Derkperk

Reaction score
I would imagine that bed liner is a pretty good insulator. I'd stay away from that route.
Hit it with some rustoleum and coating if oil. And for god sakes, wash the damn thing once.

Spatel23

Reaction score
Powder coat will chip off if its hit, that's why it would start to rust again.

Scratches also allow for rust to start forming.

In both scenarios, no matter how good the prep is, its not going to help.

Same principle applies to trailers that are powdercoated.

Atsah

Reaction score
Powder coat will chip off if its hit, that's why it would start to rust again.

Scratches also allow for rust to start forming.

In both scenarios, no matter how good the prep is, its not going to help.

Same principle applies to trailers that are powdercoated.

Agreed... I like the fluid film because it goes into the pours of the metal and it never completely dries..

They spray all the snowplows and trucks up here with it.. The guy that sprayed my truck a couple of weeks ago showed me his seven year old GMC with 150K on the clock and he plows with it and the underside had no rust at all..

Bair

Reaction score
Agreed... I like the fluid film because it goes into the pours of the metal and it never completely dries..

They spray all the snowplows and trucks up here with it.. The guy that sprayed my truck a couple of weeks ago showed me his seven year old GMC with 150K on the clock and he plows with it and the underside had no rust at all..

How much did that cost to do your truck? I'm curious because I do the same type of thing.

Atsah

Reaction score
How much did that cost to do your truck? I'm curious because I do the same type of thing.

My local body shop does it for $150.00.. He did a great job, filled the door sills and my steps as well..

Bair

Reaction score
My local body shop does it for $150.00.. He did a great job, filled the door sills and my steps as well..

That's cool. Right on par then. I charge 130-150 for a pickup, depending on cab size. And I'm mobile. I go out to the customer so that lets me do heavy equipment an stationary equipment as well.

Latest posts

Members online