Oil recommendations/questions

6fourstroker

Reaction score
Hey guys, it's about time to change the oil in the 6.4 and decided I'm going to tackle it myself. Been doing a lot of reading on what brand oil to use, what weight, synthetic, blend or regular, etc.. Like most everyone else I just want the BEST oil for my truck.

So let's hear it. What's the best oil for my 6.4. It's dpf/cat deleted and will be egr deleted soon. Has a minor tick until the oil gets to normal operating temp. Should I get an additive like Rev-x to fight that?
CJ-4 or CI-4? I've read that CJ-4 is only needed for DPF equipped trucks? And that if truck is Dpf deleted that CI-4 is actually better?

I'm all ears fellas. First time diesel owner so I've got a lot to learn.

Thanks

Csilva187

Reaction score
15w-40 Delo w/ Motorcraft filter every 5k. Done. For more info search. Good luck.

Rubenk

Reaction score
Many full synthetics out there that are fine.

Valvoline extreme blue
Rotella t6
Shaffers
Amsoil

More importantly is the right filter, good intervals, and I highly recommend routine oil analysis until you have a solid baseline for your engine. Then you could back down to annual or bi-annual analysis, depending on use.

6fourstroker

Reaction score
15w-40 Delo w/ Motorcraft filter every 5k. Done. For more info search. Good luck.

:thumbsup:

Many full synthetics out there that are fine.

Valvoline extreme blue
Rotella t6
Shaffers
Amsoil

More importantly is the right filter, good intervals, and I highly recommend routine oil analysis until you have a solid baseline for your engine. Then you could back down to annual or bi-annual analysis, depending on use.

Yea I plan on the 5k changing intervals even though It is dpf deleted so no more oil dilution. I also ordered a blackstone testing kit to see what that's all about.

fine69

Reaction score
I use Valvoline Extreme Blue Full Synthetic 5/40. I change it every 3000 miles, fuel filters every other oil change. I only use Motorcraft filters also.

groove

Reaction score
I'll add my two cents - just did my 4th oil change on my new build engine and went with Motorcraft 10w30. Seems lots of guys are running it and I thought I would give it a whirl.
I noticed immediately on starting with the 10w30 it ran smoother and quieter.
So far, I'm a believer!

6fourstroker

Reaction score
I'll add my two cents - just did my 4th oil change on my new build engine and went with Motorcraft 10w30. Seems lots of guys are running it and I thought I would give it a whirl.

So far, I'm a believer!

Smoother and more quiet is good!

Thanks.

Powerstroke Man 6.4

Reaction score
So far, I'm a believer!

If you don't mind me asking what oil did you run before?

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
I live in south TX, so I don't really have to deal with extreme cold.

I use whatever big name 15/40 conventional is currently on sale (Rotella, Delo, or Valvoline). If nothing is on sale, I grab Rotella because I've used it for 15+yrs without an oil related issue

I change every 5k, so buying some exotic oil just seems like a waste of money to me

AirFishAutomotive

Reaction score
Rotella 15/40 run it in everything. No oil related issues.
And an additive is not going to fix a mechanical failure

Every 5k as well

6fourstroker

Reaction score
I live in south TX, so I don't really have to deal with extreme cold.

I use whatever big name 15/40 conventional is currently on sale (Rotella, Delo, or Valvoline). If nothing is on sale, I grab Rotella because I've used it for 15+yrs without an oil related issue

I change every 5k, so buying some exotic oil just seems like a waste of money to me

Rotella 15/40 run it in everything. No oil related issues.
And an additive is not going to fix a mechanical failure

Every 5k as well

You just run the rotella t3 or t6?

CT9AIX

Reaction score
Schaffers 5w40 change every 5k.... Like everyone else no oil related issues after 250k miles.

AllGo'N'Show

Reaction score
Rotella T6 5w40, OEM Filers only, no mechanical issues thus far and wear on used oil analysis has gone down... works for me!

May give Joe Gibbs Driven BR40 5w40 a chance next couple rounds, ran out of time to pick up lats oil change.

6fourstroker

Reaction score
Rotella T6 5w40, OEM Filers only, no mechanical issues thus far and wear on used oil analysis has gone down... works for me!

May give Joe Gibbs Driven BR40 5w40 a chance next couple rounds, ran out of time to pick up lats oil change.

Hopefully it works well for me! I got a blackstone test for the old oil. Gonna send it out Monday.

6.4sleeper

Reaction score
Has anybody ran Cat 10w-30 in their 6.4? I can get it at one helluva discount and considering using it.

AllGo'N'Show

Reaction score
Hopefully it works well for me! I got a blackstone test for the old oil. Gonna send it out Monday.

Its a good idea to get started, it usually takes a sample or two to even out after a oil brand change. I send in a fresh oil sample and used oil when I change brands, then I just monitor for two or three and see how it goes. I'm due for another UOA soon, I have a few samples saved thinking about sending a batch down to Blackstone this time as they compare vs. other vehicle samples and not just the samples sent in under your name.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.