Oil temp vs coolant temp?

Fyrman25

Reaction score
I was wondering what you guys see with your engine oil temp vs engine coolant temp. I was driving from Maryland to Tennessee for a family vaca. Had the cruise control set around 75mph, came down I-81. Air temps in the high 80's. Truck is all stock, beside an S&B CAI, and an MBRP filter back system. I wasn't towing.

My EOT ranged any where from 12-16 degree's hotter than my ECT. My engine oil temp stayed pretty stationary around 206 degrees. My coolant temp ranged from 190-194. Is this the sign of a bad oil cooler? I have read some places that they should stay within 10 degrees of each other.

The dealership where I bought the truck does all my oil changes. I just had my oil changed, and I dont ever remember seeing them this far apart before.

Thoughts??

Reaction score
What you are seeing sounds pretty normal for these engines. Mine with no load typically bounces back and forth from 190-200 for the coolant, and oil about 200-205. But there are a ton of factors that change that such as speed/load/ambient air temps/humidity/terrain/etc. Other guys may chime in as well, but sounds completely normal what you are seeing.

Arconalloy

Reaction score
I'm seeing same mine without a load never peaks over 206 been that way since I drove her off the lot I'm going with normal based on what I run and what I've read on here with fellas pulling a load

Spindrift

Reaction score
I just finished pulling our 17K camper 4700 miles. Air temps mostly in the mid 80s and my EOT and ECT were usually the same at 194*

Latest posts

Members online