OIL?

under construction

Reaction score
Yeah T6 rotella runs anywhere from $20 - $30 a gallon around here compared to T1 Rotella that is $15 - $20 a gallon. Not the end of the world, but honestly I tend to be a bit of a tight ass. LOL But the new truck is worth it!!

SDS97_7.3

Reaction score
Yeah T6 rotella runs anywhere from $20 - $30 a gallon around here compared to T1 Rotella that is $15 - $20 a gallon. Not the end of the world, but honestly I tend to be a bit of a tight ass. LOL But the new truck is worth it!!

Also check the local Napa. They run a sale a couple times a year on Valvoline premium extreme blue

Reaction score

Do yall have Menards by where you live? Ive found they have by far the best pricing for Rotella T6 full synthetic 5w40. And for me, to spend $60-$70 on oil thatll will take me 7,000 miles and still be testing good at the end, its worth the price!

under construction

Reaction score
Do yall have Menards by where you live? Ive found they have by far the best pricing for Rotella T6 full synthetic 5w40. And for me, to spend $60-$70 on oil thatll will take me 7,000 miles and still be testing good at the end, its worth the price!

Yeah there is one not too far from where I work. Thanks for the suggestion. I would have never thought to look there.

CATDiezel

Reaction score
5w-40 has a thicker punch per stroke at 32*F than 10w-30 does.

Severe duty it still holds a very viable TBN and viscosity index at oil change interval.

I'd have to write a book to explain this... Google is on your side.

Here's the real kicker....

Oil related failures of these engines are extremely extremely rare. Whether your running 30 or 40. 5w or 10w with cold weather viscosity index improvers.

There is alot of good info on the Web about this. Might take all night to read it. And alittle explaining from an engineer plus some math.

But in the end. RARELY does anybody keep a truck long enough to get into the "are my main bearings ok?" In the life of a truck.

Chris.v

Reaction score
I've always ran the 5-40 rotella t6. My truck is really just a grocery getter. Change it every 5-6000km.

Str8Ugly

Reaction score
valvoline 5w40 premium blue extreme full synthetic, i send my oil oit for oil analysis every other oil change i usually just drive until the screen tells me to change my oil. always tests good with no mechanical issues

RedRice589

Reaction score
:jawdrop: That would get expensive changing that soon all of the time.

Meh.... Some deem it worth the extra money... I change mine every 5k miles. I had it changed on Monday and I'll change it again on Tuesday or Wednesday... Lol

And yes I know he said KM's lol

Chris.v

Reaction score
It's cheap insurance, maybe it's wasteful, maybe it's dumb. I don't drive my truck much, so it's not that bad. I plan on keeping this truck for a Long time, doing whatever I can to keep it healthy.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
I run my truck pretty hard all the time so I use 5-40 delo or mobile one and change oil every 5k cuz it is gritty as hell...

live life full throttle

taterthedog

Reaction score
I run Valvoline extreme blue 5w40 all year round. Also put RevX in the oil. Change it every 5000km or so, although last one was about 8000 km.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chris.v

Reaction score
I run Valvoline extreme blue 5w40 all year round. Also put RevX in the oil. Change it every 5000km or so, although last one was about 8000 km.

Have you noticed any difference with the REV-X additive?

taterthedog

Reaction score
Have you noticed any difference with the REV-X additive?

Not really. I started using it the same time I switched to 5w40, which was the same time I changed from a stock truck to one that is tuned etc. I'm not sure it is something that you would notice in a non-heui engine. I found a pretty big difference using their winter fuel additive though.

Edit: just noticed this was in the 6.7 section. Mine is a 6.4. Sorry.

Last edited:

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Not really. I started using it the same time I switched to 5w40, which was the same time I changed from a stock truck to one that is tuned etc. I'm not sure it is something that you would notice in a non-heui engine. I found a pretty big difference using their winter fuel additive though.

Edit: just noticed this was in the 6.7 section. Mine is a 6.4. Sorry.

rev x was designed for stiction issues in the heui motkrs so I highly doubt you will notice anything in a cr engine unless there is a lifter issue....

live life full throttle

CATDiezel

Reaction score
Synthetic is synthetic. Vii adders are only difference.

5w-40 is STILL A FORTY Weight OIL.

10W-30 IS A THIRTY Weight OIL.

10w-30 will flow better than 5w-40 at startup and provide more protection for the grocery getter truck.

Please don't be dismayed my a fancy bottle label or brand name. Chose what's proper then grab a jug.

FORD actually recommends different things in different areas. Like 0w-30 synthetic for below 0*F weather.

Unless your a f450 or f550 chassis with a dedicated load on the bed OR pulling a large load at least 50% of the time such as a man that pulls a gooseneck with a large tractor or trucks or heavy loads on a Regular basis. 40 weight is a thing of the past. 30 weight oil is more suited. And another funny thing to note is ambient temps. That's only a concern at startup. Period. And specifically for the Vii value. Nor the weight of oil. Ford has done a lousy job in that area of the owners manual. They really figure nobody reads them so they continue to publish 70's data and technology in the manual for whatever reason.

Just take a look at what the European diesel engines in heavy trucks are running. They all laugh and run a 5w-30 in there goofy mercedes 850ci engines pulling 80,000lbs.

Just sayin.

Last post on it. Lol.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online