On board air/air bag controll

neverkickn

Reaction score
I am getting parts together to do air springs but I want to plumb them into some kind of on board air setup. I don't want to get a dedicated leveling system due the cost of the ones that I have seen. I think I can build better for cheaper and have more compressor/capacity than the leveling kits that I have seen on the market.

My questions are, does anyone have a recommendation on a mechanical dump/fill valve that I could fit to the suspension, and what recommendations do y'all have on a durable but simple compressor and tank combo with an in cab gauge and switch?

neverkickn

Reaction score
That's what I want to do. I wonder if anyone has any experience with what type of valve would work best. I was thinking about doing an auto valve with a normally closed relay between the valve and the bag, so that i could controll when the valve adjusts bag pressure from the cab. If i did one for each bag i could also have side to side levelling.

neverkickn

Reaction score
I have been looking at viair kits. They are pretty complete in terms of what's needed to generate and store air, but their tanks look like the are designed to be mounted brackets down. If I mount it to the frame rail I won't be able to drain it. I guess I will have to cut and reeled the brackets on the tank to get it indexed right.

Anyone else have any experience with mounting the viair tanks? Also, who on here is a viair dealer?

tbsimmons

Reaction score
I used a compressor and 5 gallon tank. Dont remember the size of the compressor but fills the tank pretty fast and is at 250 PSI. I mounted both to a piece of plate that I had drilled holes in to match the frame holes. My tank has ports all around it so I just moved the drain. The power is from one of the upfitters that is the signal wire to a relay.
The gauge and switch are mounted in the dash right below the stock gauges behind the turn signal switch. Take the gauge and switch apart and they will fit.
The tank I have a quick connect at the back of the truck to fill tires and such.
The auto stuff I didnt want to get into.

neverkickn

Reaction score
Looking at the haldex 90054007 like what is used in the r4 kits. Does anyone know if they will allow the axle to droop all the way down without damaging the valve. I am worried that it wouldn't have enough travel for full articulation in an off road situation.

neverkickn

Reaction score
Haven't forgot about this but I have been busy. Things have slowed a bit and I had a chance to install the air setup that I have been collecting parts for since September. I still don't have the leveling valves, but plumbing them in will be duck soup.

Pics of the onboard air setup below. Kinda pieced it together instead of going with a full on viair kit so I could keep the frame rails clean, and mount the whole setup high and tight.

I don't have a lift so the pics are kinda up close, but the compressor and tank are mounted on a plate that is attached above the spare tire.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 57
  • image (2).jpg
    image (2).jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 60
  • image (3).jpg
    image (3).jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 60
  • image (4).jpg
    image (4).jpg
    11 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:

Lugger007

Reaction score
Can you still mount your spare tire or did the plate w/compressor and tank take its place, hard to tell from the pic.

I need to install air bags and my air system soon and couldn't find a good place to install

Dzchey21

Reaction score
did you get the auto dump/fill valve installed?

Beech has one on his truck, I would think just about anyone from a semi would work fine, his had a nice linkage with it

neverkickn

Reaction score
Can you still mount your spare tire or did the plate w/compressor and tank take its place, hard to tell from the pic.

I need to install air bags and my air system soon and couldn't find a good place to install

Yeah, the pics kinda suck because I was under the truck on a creeper, but the plate attaches to the bottom of the h shaped frame member that the spare tire draws against. The tire will still mount just fine since the plate is only 3/16 thick. I have a pic of the tire installed so I will post it up later.

neverkickn

Reaction score
did you get the auto dump/fill valve installed?

Beech has one on his truck, I would think just about anyone from a semi would work fine, his had a nice linkage with it

No, not yet. That is the next step but it isn't likely to happen till Jan. Bout to get busy again till after Christmas.

I am planning on using the same valve that comes in the firestone r4 kits. It is a haldex manual fill dump valve that is controlled release. Should be the cats ass. No sensors, just straight mechanical, and a completely level tail end regardless of load.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
right that's exactly what I was thinking. They have a pretty clever linkage set up too that uses a rubber ball end and a rod that you loosen the hose clamp to get the height just right, but I agree, no mess no hassle no guess pressure with load, just set it and forget it

Keep me posted this should be cool

neverkickn

Reaction score
right that's exactly what I was thinking. They have a pretty clever linkage set up too that uses a rubber ball end and a rod that you loosen the hose clamp to get the height just right, but I agree, no mess no hassle no guess pressure with load, just set it and forget it

Keep me posted this should be cool

Yeah, I'll post pics when I get my valves mounted.

Latest posts

Members online