Only Dies While Towing.......

Twinturbostroker

Reaction score
Soooooo I gotta head scratcher for y'all. I got a customer that has a 03 6.0 F350. Came in with hot die/no restart issue.....didn't want to deal with it again, so replaced everything in the HPO system, HPOP, IPR, ICP, stands, oil rail seals, everything.......truck runs great. Get a call 2 weeks later, customer is pulling his camper and 2 hours out of town and truck just shuts down on him on the highway.....but strange thing is, you let it sit a few minutes and she'll fire back off, you'll get going again and about 5 miles later, boom dies......

Tried to replicate problem with a loaded heavy trailer we put on it, ICP stays constant about 2300-2800, never drops, EOT is 220-225ish, ECT is about 215-218, FICM stayed constant at 47.5-48 for me for the hour I drove it, tested HPO system and no air leaks......so sent the customer off with old X4 to scan it and go drive it till it dies.......finally he got it to do it again, he said only thing he saw that happened was FICM dropped to 46-45.5 for a sec before it bucked and died.

There is another thread on the Org with a guy having the exact same problem, only while loaded heavy, constant hot temps for 2hours or more and will re-fire have a couple minute cool down. It looked like he was finding issues with his FICM, but never concluded it.......

Anyone else hear of this???? Thanks guys!!!

tbsimmons

Reaction score
Yep a guys at work did that. It progressively got worse. He changed the FICM and it solved it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
I would say to check yhe oil level/quality as well. You can always run an aeration test too to see if it aerates any like a 7.3 would do.

pdumont01

Reaction score
Sounds like a HP oil leak. You changed the dummy plug o-rings on the top front of the rails also? I've had this concern many times and usually it is an oil concern. If it was the FICM usually it will loose power and die out slowly like it's running out of fuel. Just my 2c. Best thing would be to monitor pids when it is acting up- eliminates slot of the guessing. Good luck.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk