Opinion's on High EGT's 2014 6.7 Deleted

dsmracing1

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have a 2014 6.7 that has a Flo Pro 5" exhaust with muffler, S&B air intake and an H&S mini maxx throwing the power down. I recently just installed the H&S EGT probe kit and now I kicked her into performance setting. I have before but never past 50mph have I held it to the floor. I wanted to see what my EGT's were at when I gunned it from 0-80mph on performance. I was hitting 1350 and de-fueling once I was getting to 70+ mph.

Is this pretty common to hit that high of EGT's in such a short amount of time?? At what point does doing engine damage really occur? I really don't want to do any engine damage but it seems that it shouldn't get that hot that quick. I wouldn't even be able to do a 1/4 mile run without de-fueling, which seems a little extreme, not that I plan on taking it to the track really.

I was wondering what everyone else is seeing for EGT's on a quick full throttle pull in the performance setting from a dead stop? I might try changing the EGT sensor to one of the other three I have...

I just realized this is in the 6.7 tech not aftermarket. My Bad....

Thanks Guys, Cam.

Last edited:

Spatel23

Reaction score
moved to proper forum

Your egts are normal

Its ok to get to those temps and higher for short bursts....for instance 1/4 or 0-80 runs such as the one you did.

You just dont want to stay at those temps long....thats when the damage occurs.

dsmracing1

Reaction score
That's reassuring that at least it's ok to run them for a short burst of time. Not looking to do this on a regular basis or anything just being a little paranoid more than anything. I am looking forward to slapping a Midwest 2015 ford turbo kit eventually though when this turbo ****s the bed! Thanks guys!

Last edited:

dsmracing1

Reaction score
That's fine for short bursts like said before.

When I go to the track I turn defuel off, and will sit between 1300-1500 the whole way down

Awesome, feeling a lot more confident about everything around this now. Not feeling so confident about that stock turbo but when the time comes she's getting a nice
Upgrade.

Thanks johnP

Motostroker

Reaction score
Pshhhhh. On my 6.4 I had 1850 going down the track. That's toasty. You are fine

Stroked777

Reaction score
I have maxed out what my egt gauge will read in my 6.4, still took 2 seconds for the temp to start dropping from the max reading. The rule of thumb I go by is 1200*f is ok to hold when towing on a grade or what not, 1400 sustained is ok for 30 seconds or less and 1600+ is ok for a drag pass or a sled pull. Drag pass is no more than 14 seconds and a sled pull isn't much longer

dsmracing1

Reaction score
I have maxed out what my egt gauge will read in my 6.4, still took 2 seconds for the temp to start dropping from the max reading. The rule of thumb I go by is 1200*f is ok to hold when towing on a grade or what not, 1400 sustained is ok for 30 seconds or less and 1600+ is ok for a drag pass or a sled pull. Drag pass is no more than 14 seconds and a sled pull isn't much longer

That's a good way to look at it.

Latest posts

Members online