Optimal tow setup

Lt.Dan

Reaction score
Yes, I understand you have to be able to steam the water in the intake before it gets to the motor, which is done by high temps right?

Im pretty sure the stage 3 controller does vary its input based on boost and EGTs simultaneously, but i should be able to tell pretty quickly if its not setup correctly right? From what I've read I should feel some bucking and power loss if it's injection too much water?

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Yes, I understand you have to be able to steam the water in the intake before it gets to the motor, which is done by high temps right?

Im pretty sure the stage 3 controller does vary its input based on boost and EGTs simultaneously, but i should be able to tell pretty quickly if its not setup correctly right? From what I've read I should feel some bucking and power loss if it's injection too much water?
Injecting the water is done at fairly hi pressure to get it into fine enough particles. Exhaust temps can have absolutely 0 to do with intake air temps, and thats where the water is being injected.

The stage 2 system was strictly boost controlled, so I never had it inject at the wrong time, and always had it jetted for stock injector and turbo setup, so it was well under jetted once I started modifying things, as I had heard of guys hurting their motors from injecting too much water. Some were to the point of the oil cap looked like it had milkshake on it.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Lt.Dan

Reaction score
Anybody else have good experience with 205/30s with heavy towing? Any other mods people recommend or have theories about?

superpsd

Reaction score
I would buy injectors built from a new set rather than remans if it were me. Many builder offer either option with new injectors costing a few more dollars. Those hybrids would go great with a S364. 5 with the larger turbine option. A good intercooler and that turbo and you might not need a water injection kit to keep things under control. Only other recommendation for towing that much weight is buy a 2020/2021 6.7 dually.

ghohouston

Reaction score
If I had that money to invest in a 7.3, I'd get the heads ported, do headers, and install one of the lower level ******** cams. People talk day and night about porting and cams and what they do and don't do. When done properly, you will see a drop in boost, as well as e.g.t.'s, and if you're towing or racing, those are the well known enemy. Iirc Swamps did a study years ago proving headers along with porting and maybe a cam showed improvements upwards of 100 hp, all while being more efficient. It's a combo not many tap into, but thats my .02.

Lt.Dan

Reaction score
If I had that money to invest in a 7.3, I'd get the heads ported, do headers, and install one of the lower level ******** cams. People talk day and night about porting and cams and what they do and don't do. When done properly, you will see a drop in boost, as well as e.g.t.'s, and if you're towing or racing, those are the well known enemy. Iirc Swamps did a study years ago proving headers along with porting and maybe a cam showed improvements upwards of 100 hp, all while being more efficient. It's a combo not many tap into, but thats my .02.

I would be interested in something like that. What about cam and header without port work? Im curious because I wouldnt want to have to pull the heads after I just rebuilt the motor 3 years ago lol.

Then again I do have another long block sitting on a stand in the garage...

Addicted4

Reaction score
Just so we are clear, are you talking about towing 20-25k lbs or is that gross truck and trailer combined?

Addicted4

Reaction score
8k truck + 20k trailer = 28k gcw
8k truck + 25k trailer = 33k gcw

Your truck is rated at 16k Gcwr if 3.55, 20k gcwr if 4.10 if I’m not mistaken but I could be wrong

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Put together a ton of 238/100 38r and s366 combo's. 90 percent of these were daily driver tow rigs and after 5 or 6 years guys are still driving and towing heavy with them. When tuned correctly, Its a very strong running setup that tows very well. Lot of guys will steer you away from drop in chargers but I have a ton of customers who have been running them for several years without any complaints and towing heavy is a weekly occurrence. The 7.3 can really be a towing monster if set up correctly.
Agree 100%

live life full throttle

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
I always compared my old dually to my 12 6.7.. both made the same horsepower (450) and both towed identically.. i had to drive the 7.3 a bit more with 20k behind her but it did it without issue. And my driving/towing style is no where near anyone else's. Lol

Neither are as good as my 15 now. I can only imagine how the 2020s run. Especially if they get some dereet tunes.

live life full throttle

superpsd

Reaction score
I always compared my old dually to my 12 6.7.. both made the same horsepower (450) and both towed identically.. i had to drive the 7.3 a bit more with 20k behind her but it did it without issue. And my driving/towing style is no where near anyone else's. Lol

Neither are as good as my 15 now. I can only imagine how the 2020s run. Especially if they get some dereet tunes.

live life full throttle

Deweet tunes have been out for a little while now. There are bunch of uncorked 2020s already. Tuning for now is done direct flash to the PCM. No OBD port as there is some added security that has not been figured out yet. TCM can be tuned with HP tuners with the OBD port. One of the tuners were seeing a little over 600 rwhp and 1400+ ft lbs on a hot tune. Stock truck minus the exhaust work and intake if I recall. I noticed my 2020 drinks DEF its a common complaint but its likely due to what PPEI said about the 2020s. Unlike the earlier 6.7s the 2020 uses very little to usually no EGR past idle.

Last edited:

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Deweet tunes have been out for a little while now. There are bunch of uncorked 2020s already. Tuning for now is done direct flash to the PCM. No OBD port as there is some added security that has not been figured out yet. TCM can be tuned with HP tuners with the OBD port. One of the tuners were seeing a little over 600 rwhp and 1400+ ft lbs on a hot tune. Stock truck minus the exhaust work and intake if I recall. I noticed my 2020 drinks DEF its a common complaint but its likely due to what PPEI said about the 2020s. Unlike the earlier 6.7s the 2020 uses very little to usually no EGR past idle.
That is ***in badass!!

live life full throttle

Lt.Dan

Reaction score
A 20' or 21' would be fantastic, theyre just a little out of my price range right now. In a couple years it will be more attainable for me, hence me hopping up the old dinosaur.

Even if the 7.3 made the same HP/TQ as the 20' 6.7s, the 7.3 doesn't have the needed gearing in the trans, and doesnt stand a chance.Im constantly needing a gear in-between 3->4 and sometimes 2->3, but i don't want to deal with a gear vendors, as I've heard too many issues with them...

Petro

Reaction score
A 20' or 21' would be fantastic, theyre just a little out of my price range right now. In a couple years it will be more attainable for me, hence me hopping up the old dinosaur.

Even if the 7.3 made the same HP/TQ as the 20' 6.7s, the 7.3 doesn't have the needed gearing in the trans, and doesnt stand a chance.Im constantly needing a gear in-between 3->4 and sometimes 2->3, but i don't want to deal with a gear vendors, as I've heard too many issues with them...

If you have any sort of decent horsepower with a charger that isn't a lazy laggy piece of f-ck, then that 3 to 4 shift isn't a big deal. You'd be amazed how a 400 horsepower 7.3 with a correctly sized turbo, would handle that shift while towing heavy. When Ford used a 1.15 a/r exhaust housing on obs trucks, it completely killed the low end grunt of the engine, who ever came up with that turbo setup, should have been drug out back and shot. Combine a correctly size turbine housing and a new modern turbine wheel and low end torque is not a problem, that shift dropping rpms to 1500 is nothing it won't be able to quickly recover from.

Latest posts

Members online