Options

70jeeper

Reaction score
I am looking to buy a new F350 with the 6.7. Any insight from those of you that tow on a few of the options would be greatly appreciated. I will be using this truck to tow a 15,000 lbs +- 5th wheel and having trouble finding the truck with the options I want and need to narrow down the most needed options.

- First, I would like 3.55 rear end gears but most of the trucks in my area have 3.31 's, is it worth going the extra mile (maybe a lot of extra miles) to find 3.55's?

- What are the LCD Productivity Screen features/uses? Is it worth the extra $2900 for the XLT Premium Package to get it?

sagebel

Reaction score
Figure out which hitch you want to use before getting one with the factory prep because the choices are limited and can be pricey. B&W makes a 20K and you get get it for about $800.

To me the XLT Premium package is worth it. My 2011 did not have the screen and my 2012 does. Lots of cool stuff. You can even keep track of the mileage of multiple trailers. To me sync was a must as well.

I pulled my 10,000# trailer with no problems with 3.55. Never had a truck with 3.31. Someone should chime in.

70jeeper

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply sagebel, I have a B&W companion hitch from my old truck I will reuse. I will will have to install the gooseneck portion in the new truck. I haven't had a chance to check out the LCD screen at a dealer yet plus I hate being hounded by the voulcher's when I just want to look!

FX4_Scorpion

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply sagebel, I have a B&W companion hitch from my old truck I will reuse. I will will have to install the gooseneck portion in the new truck. I haven't had a chance to check out the LCD screen at a dealer yet plus I hate being hounded by the voulcher's when I just want to look!

Are you planning on just buying a new hitch or are you gonna try and modify old one ?? That would be a major undertaking there !!

Last edited:

70jeeper

Reaction score
Buy a new gooseneck hitch and reuse the companion portion. I am keeping my old 7.3 and that way I can use the companion in either truck.

RedRice589

Reaction score
I have a 2012 with 3.31 and I just pulled my 37ft 15600 Jayco and it pulled it better than my srw 6.4 tuned and deleted. I just lockout 6th in the mountains.

Last edited:

Fyrman25

Reaction score
If you are thinking about the reverse camera, I would recommend getting the navigation. Besides the obvious, the screen for the camera is much bigger than up on the rearview mirror. Its the one option on my 11 I wish I would have stepped up too.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
If you are thinking about the reverse camera, I would recommend getting the navigation. Besides the obvious, the screen for the camera is much bigger than up on the rearview mirror. Its the one option on my 11 I wish I would have stepped up too.

the backup cam on the 13' has a 1 step hitch zoom as well .

Heavyhaul

Reaction score
I can build you a mod to use your companion with a ford factory ball. I have it in 4 trucks now with over 30,000+ combined mileage. My trailer weights 20,000 so weight is not a problem. Send me a PM if you go that route. I will tell you how or set you up.

Tom@BigTimeKustomz

Reaction score
I can't comment on the 3.31s as I had them in my f150 and the truck was always working hard to pull a load of 1500lbs. My 350 with 3.55s barely sweats with any load behind it. These trucks make a ton of power stock so you shouldn't have any issues towing your 5'er anywhere.

Short Bus

Reaction score
I have a '13 250 with 331's. my only complaint is lack of overload springs. I have added aftermarket and get by, but on a diesel overloads should be standard. I have towed my 10k 5th wheel several times now and it tows like a dream. Max gross weight with flat bed has been close to 24k and never missed a beat. Mileage isn't as high as I expected but it is still better than my 7.3 and way higher than my pos 6.0 I traded in. If this engine is still around in a few years I will trade and get another.

Latest posts

Members online