Oringed heads and factory gaskets

Dittmerdiesel

Reaction score
Im getting ready to buy a set of Liberator performance o-ringed heads along with factory gaskets. I have a couple of questions though. The dealer quoted me close to $180.00 for gaskets and they said it's gasket only, not bolts. I thought you had to buy it as one kit but I could be wrong.

Also, I just replaced the oil cooler, and hpop screen 3k miles ago. If the head gaskets are blown, is it necessary to replace the cooler again? The last owner used black onyx and arp's and they blew at factory power. I wish I had read about them before I bought it. That should probably be a sticky in this thread ha.

Thanks

Sprman

Reaction score
Im getting ready to buy a set of Liberator performance o-ringed heads along with factory gaskets. I have a couple of questions though. The dealer quoted me close to $180.00 for gaskets and they said it's gasket only, not bolts. I thought you had to buy it as one kit but I could be wrong.

Also, I just replaced the oil cooler, and hpop screen 3k miles ago. If the head gaskets are blown, is it necessary to replace the cooler again? The last owner used black onyx and arp's and they blew at factory power. I wish I had read about them before I bought it. That should probably be a sticky in this thread ha.

Thanks

Liberator = half azzed products

That's a bold statement... i have a set of liberator 0-ringed heads with stock gaskets and ARP's and have zero problems for the past 50k miles and i beat the crap out of the truck.

Adamv7010

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Heard nothing but bad chit about liberators o ring heads...

You don't want head bolts anyway. Stud it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

POWER-STRUCK

Reaction score
if it blew at stock level then the oil cooler must be clogged, make sure to flush with vc9 before tear down

Dittmerdiesel

Reaction score
I think the previous owner just did a crappy job and black onyx. I just flushed it and replaced the oil cooler, added a coolant filter, and the egr is deleted. I have no doubt that the cooler was plugged. And im not doing bolts, i have studs i just thought the gaskets came with bolts too.

Wayne

Reaction score
O-rings are NOT needed, at least with H-11's anyway. We've run resurfaced heads & H-11's on all the trucks we do, and have had ZERO head gasket failures with the Ford gaskets. This includes trucks running 800+ HP on nitrous. Back in the black onyx days though, we had a couple head gaskets let go on 500-600 hp trucks. We verified torque before tear down, and they were all done right. the gasket material eroded away though for whatever reason. We don't install ARP's, and wouldn't stand behind them anyway if we did, but I know lots of guys have had good luck. Lots of other guys haven't though. Just some food for thought.

Josh@DirtyDiesels

Reaction score
If you're going to do o-rings, have them done by a reputable shop. Mine were done about 7k miles ago and the heads were just off again (just for pushrod and valve spring upgrade) and the gaskets and everything looked PERFECT. Wouldn't trust the liberator ones...

Meniacal_Mark

Reaction score
I would go with Wayne on this, no need for o-rings when all you need is to have your heads zeroed.

Dittmerdiesel

Reaction score
But if the o-rings are not that much more than getting your factory heads done, then why not? It seems like a no brainer to me to get more protection for little more. Unless my factory heads are cracked and then I dont get a core charge back.

Latest posts

Members online