Overheating issue

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
OP- Have you measured top radiator hose compared to bottom one after a good run?

blk99

Reaction score
I have not.... i dont have one of those fancy thermometer's, i need to get one...

pilot4life

Reaction score
I have had great luck with Dcpower alternators. I have their 270 amp drop in replacement.

Last edited:

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Starter, alt, tensioner, belt, PS pump, fuel filters, fuel pump, hpop, hpo lines, oil filter, oil, coolant, injector o rings, oil cooler gaskets and o rings, several IPR's, ICP sensors, CPS sensors... Minor other things...
I carried a few of those items.. where you drive, id have all that too..

live life full throttle

alradco

Reaction score
So is the truck still overheating or was it the fan clutch?

As far as alternators go, send me a jacket for the Autozone club. Had one that lasted 2 days. What good is a lifetime warranty when you're left stranded on the side of the road with your wife and kids.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
So is the truck still overheating or was it the fan clutch?

As far as alternators go, send me a jacket for the Autozone club. Had one that lasted 2 days. What good is a lifetime warranty when you're left stranded on the side of the road with your wife and kids.
do what joe did and turn in a core for a spare..

live life full throttle

Reaction score
Finally got my DC power 190 amp alt.. It's very well built

93B8178C-2429-4F23-A372-F4857420E843_zps34zkh2dz.jpg

8638435C-C3AF-4DD5-B1FB-991EED6CF86A_zpsc6c4kwgi.jpg

It was very worth the money IMO. Made in the USA too.

blk99

Reaction score
Sorry guys, i have so busy i have just been toughing threw the issue and havent got it fixed yet..... i noticed today that my tstat is leaking so that might be more of an issue than the clutch itself..... i have a new fan clutch on the bench though....

I am going for a 10 day trip with just the truck, on friday, but as soon as i get home i will tear into it....

On abother note..... my alternator was litterally coming apart.... one bolt that holds the case together was missing and the others were loose.... went and got the "newer/upgraded" one and still have the voltage issues.... maybe its the leaking coolant, on the belt, causing slippage?????
8679f9d56f07091240bc39b73bf7cf4e.jpg
c8369c4ea171f14e7c587c8c5e2aafc7.jpg

Last edited:

TyCorr

Reaction score
Sorry guys, i have so busy i have just been toughing threw the issue and havent got it fixed yet..... i noticed today that my tstat is leaking so that might be more of an issue than the clutch itself..... i have a new fan clutch on the bench though....

I am going for a 10 day trip with just the truck, on friday, but as soon as i get home i will tear into it....

On abother note..... my alternator was litterally coming apart.... one bolt that holds the case together was missing and the others were loose.... went and got the "newer/upgraded" one and still have the voltage issues.... maybe its the leaking coolant, on the belt, causing slippage?????
8679f9d56f07091240bc39b73bf7cf4e.jpg
c8369c4ea171f14e7c587c8c5e2aafc7.jpg

Or the fan is.blowing it into the case and.washing the bearing lube out and soon it'll lock up, sideload the.shaft, and break it. Then you'll get stranded.

blk99

Reaction score
Or the fan is.blowing it into the case and.washing the bearing lube out and soon it'll lock up, sideload the.shaft, and break it. Then you'll get stranded.
Not quite following.... what is "it" and "it" Lol

TyCorr

Reaction score
Well since I quoted you, you should know lol

Coolant. Blowing. Into. The. Case. =trashed alternator. Been there, done that.

blk99

Reaction score
I did but at the same time i noticed i had a colant leak at the t-stat housing and it was getting colant on my belt, make it sticky when cold and slippery when hot.... cleaned all the pulleys and got a new belt... so far so good

HBDELUX

Reaction score
My issue (the same as described by the Op) turned out to be the fan clutch. Replacment solved cooling issues and strange surging noise.

Prior to replacement I noticed a small amount of a tacky silicone type substance coating the fan clutch shaft/nut.

gnxtc2

Reaction score
Keep an eye on the coolant gauge when towing. IMHO: the Hayden locks up too late and the fan is playing catch up to cool the truck down.

I had to replace my fan clutch on my truck. It was approximately 55*-60* out, towing 23k and pulling a grade at 70mph. The temp gauge started to climb to 3/4 and needed to slow down otherwise the motor might have over heated. If it was any hotter out, the motor would have overheated.

I getting rid of the thermal fan clutch and going E-clutch as I don't trust the Hayden. I have the truck half wired for the swap. There is a thread on here on how to do the conversion.

Billy T.
[email protected]

Reaction score
What clutch would you recommend? I don't really want the e clutch.

I just got a 6.0 fan for some extra cooling and I'm thinking about changing mine since it has 264k.

HBDELUX

Reaction score
Already towed up to the mountains as heavy as I will ever tow with my combo. The Hayden I threw in is working fine. Its not summer but I was having issues with the factory fan clutch in below 80* weather towing a grade with the same load.

gnxtc2, I expect not to have issues but I'll keep an eye on it this summer. I have a mild combo with stock injectors for the time being.

Last edited:

gnxtc2

Reaction score
What clutch would you recommend? I don't really want the e clutch.

I just got a 6.0 fan for some extra cooling and I'm thinking about changing mine since it has 264k.

I'm running a 6.0 fan also and a Mishimoto rad. There really isn't another fan clutch available except for the Hayden. My Ford guy said the OEM is obsolete and the ones I found online were going for $350.

What's wrong with the E-clutch?

Billy T.
[email protected]

Latest posts

Members online