P!P v8 3-4 Released!

Notneb

Reaction score
Looks like the finished product is out, just got my email from David yesterday! Lv's 3 and 4 are now available, going to put them on my truck after I post this. Sadly my shocks are at Fox right now being laughed and marveled at before they get seriously re-done, so I can't do any testing.

Just wanted to get the word out there for everyone to now bug the CRAP out of P!P for your new tunes!

Notneb

Reaction score
So just two things I noticed after loading new lv4. One is the exhaust smell seems cut in half, you can actually hang out at the rear of the truck and not pass out... And two, is the WHSSSSSSSSHHHHH turbo noise at cold idle is back, but only for about 30 seconds then it goes away. However that was at 55 degree's ambient, so who knows when it gets colder?

jwalk09

Reaction score
So v8 lv3 is the same power as the v7 lv4?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Notneb

Reaction score
No, as it was explained to me is the lv4 v8.02 beta file was the now lv3 v8 tune that was just released.

jwalk09

Reaction score
No, as it was explained to me is the lv4 v8.02 beta file was the now lv3 v8 tune that was just released.

Ok. Do you know the hp numbers these tunes are putting out ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JRLott

Reaction score
I think he's wondering if you managed to break them or just trying different valving. Im wondering this anyway.

Notneb

Reaction score
I think he's wondering if you managed to break them or just trying different valving. Im wondering this anyway.

Oh, nah they were just due. I did bottom out the fronts due to a washout on a road I usually fly down, gotta love flash floods out here!

JRLott

Reaction score
By due you mean...miles or known abuse resulting in reduced performance? Or catching them before reduced performance. Reason I ask is I was seriously considering them and I don't think you have that many miles on them, but you probably work their posteriors off. I went with 5100s because I'm a cheap a$$. They'll do for my needs and worked wonderfully on my 05 for 9 years, and will give me time to convince myself to spend twice as much next time around.

Notneb

Reaction score
So here's a basic rundown of what I put those fox 2.0's through and the condition they were in when I sent them off:

I installed them and the Carli lift on my truck at 5000 miles on the odometer. After the 500 mile break in period and a re-tightening of all things suspension, I took it out to some forest service roads and then down a river bed.

My buddy and his LBZ was following me, so for comparison he had a 6" lift with dual shocks in the front, and just blocks/shocks in the rear. His average speed was 14mph. Mine was 35mph. I saw maybe 60mph on some stretches, and as low as 10mph on some of the nastier stuff. Most of the road was poorly maintained and this was in WA state, so it rained almost every day, so you can imagine...

Next I moved to AZ, roughly 1600 mile trip, pulling 10k worth of trailer and junk, as well as 2k in the bed. I put air bags on it for the trip, rode fine, nothing of note.

In AZ I put roughly 1500 miles on the shocks offroad desert baha style runs. Averaged about 50mph down most of the trails, mostly low whoops, some small rough washout patches.

All this time too I was doing daily stop and go city driving, pot holes, speed bumps, etc.

Pulled the shocks at 13000 miles on the truck, could push the shafts down within 2 sec count using my upper body weight, not ideal...

Front left shock had been bottomed out, could see residual oil around the seal. Other three the seals showed no sign of break.

So roughly 2000miles of moderate offroad and 6000miles of asphalt and i'm on my first rebuild. Honestly I'm floored that they lasted that long, and I bet they would've lasted longer or at least been in better shape, if I had strapped my front axle. Put it this way, I bounced hard enough to pop a vent cap off my left battery.

I don't abuse my truck, but I do make it work hard in terms of the suspension. These shocks are awesome for someone who mostly pounds pavement, but on the weekends wants to tear it up. When I get them back I'll put my go pro under the truck and do some runs down a trail so everyone can get a better feel at how well they do.

Notneb

Reaction score
Is there a reason that you went with these over the Carli shocks?

Carli doesn't make their own shocks, they use Fox, King and Bilstein shocks. Depending on what package you get denotes what shocks were used.

Sterling6.7

Reaction score
Aren't the Carli commuter versions just custom valved Fox 2.0 shocks? Are the off-the-shelf Foxs better than the Carlis?

Last edited:

Notneb

Reaction score
Aren't the Carli commuter versions just custom valved Fox 2.0 shocks? Are the off-the-shelf Foxs better than the Carlis?

Yes but they aren't "Carli Shocks". I ran OTS Fox 2.0's on my 2012 with a 4" 4-Link BDS lift, also with full rear deavers, and nooooooo they are NOT better than Carli tuned 2.0's. The reason I'm just having Fox repair them is I plan to move up to either a Dominator setup or coil overs, as I do far more offroading than the 2.0's can handle.

Sterling6.7

Reaction score
Thanks! You probably just saved me a couple hundred bucks. Now I will just buy the Fox 2.0s. Sorry for the derail.

Notneb

Reaction score
No worries, this thread was more just to let everyone know they're out! Keep us posted with what you end up getting! Feel free to PM me with any questions.

Latest posts

Members online