P0087, P0088, reduced engine power

Dzchey21

Reaction score
Anyone else bone stock run into this yet?
Truck is a 2012 with 27k on the odometer

Replaced fuel filters on the side of the road with no luck.
Talked to a welder buddy of mine that had similar issues awhile back and it was a cracked frame rail fuel pump allowing it to suck air. Not sure If this could be the case just looking to see what anyone else has seen.

I just happened to have my dashdaq in the truck and hooked up. Found that rail at light throttle looked ok but as soon as you would hit 1/4 thottle it would drop to 3k rail pressure and be a turd. Limped it to the closest dealer

Bad part is this the 2nd time in the last 5 weeks my truck has left me stranded with wife and kids in the truck towing either my boat or camper.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
Dealer got to look at it.
They say its the VCV on the pump is what the issue is but they cant fix it for 2 weeks so i am trying to get it home to have them work on.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
Maybe that's all it is I didn't realize there were any valves on the rails. They said the top of the engine had to come apart

Dzchey21

Reaction score
Dealer finally got it apart. THey say there is rust in the fuel system so obviously not warranty. I have never had a water in fuel light ever, and there was a just a slight amount of fuel in the water bowl when i changed the filters on the side of the road so i dont know.

Im going to go down to the dealer and see what proof they have of the rust because the truck was sitting outside when i drove by earlier so i dont know how they can say that.

uga33

Reaction score
There are a few of these scenarios running around the internet. Do you have an aftermarket tank? Most peoples insurance cover it.

TyCorr

Reaction score
That's bullpuckey! They said that to get out of eating the repair.

When that happened on my lbz and lml (? 08) the dealer went to the fuel station I fueled at every day, discretely took a sample of fuel and made them pay because they had 8 trucks with trashed fuel pumps. Something to ask about. Or if you fuel at one place make them pay.

Last edited:

Dzchey21

Reaction score
yes i have a transfer flow in the bed, its clean as a whistle and no water, the water seperator had nothing in it obv and 0 counts of water in the fuel stored in the pcm.

The only thing they have taken apart thus far is the PCV on the fuel rail and it has rust on the end of it. I would like to see if the whole system has it but the tech says if one part does they deny warranty on the rest

My insurance is picking up the bill but im not super happy about it. I get fuel at the same place all the time so the insurance company is going to look into it but said usually its a dead end

Dzchey21

Reaction score
I would be 100 Bucks that if they put a new valve in the rail (which is the one causing this issues) and put it back together it would run for a long time if not forever. But If i go that route it voids the entire warranty on the powertrain... so i have no choice

uga33

Reaction score
Man that sucks. A few guys on other forums have had this happen. Clean water separators and never a water in fuel light only for Ford to hand them a $10k+ fuel system replacement bill.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
Man that sucks. A few guys on other forums have had this happen. Clean water separators and never a water in fuel light only for Ford to hand them a $10k+ fuel system replacement bill.

Yeah thats basically whats going on here line for line. Pretty silly if you ask me. I could understand if i put 1000 miles on with the water in fuel light on or something. So to me they either have a faulty filtering/seperating system or this valve had some sort of corrosion on it when it was installed.

So ill wait for another week to get my truck back.

uga33

Reaction score
There are some scary/entertaining/interesting/ reads on FTE and other forums about this. Boils down to crappy diesel fuel in the US and an extremely finicky fuel system. VW has had a ton of issues with the CP4s. Ford and GM have also had their fair share.

TyCorr

Reaction score
As much as Id like a superduty when my dealer will go to bat and either get stuff like this covered or go after the fuel supplier its hard to go somewhere else. Especially when the truck is counted on day in and day out. 2014 purchased in June, brand new, have 10k on it already.

Good luck Dustin, I hope there is some resolution.

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
such horse ****... I bet there's zero rust in the system...

I've had good luck with Power Service in the gray bottle freeing up stuck regulators in HPFP's... dope the truck up with a quart or two and see how it reacts.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
Im thinking about putting the a bug in the insurance guy's ear about this dealer maybe staging non warranty claims... they pulled this same stuff on my black 6.4 when i first bought it, same deal totally stock ect. Said there was sand in the system.

The dealer I purchased the truck took it into the shop. Tore the system down and said they only found a few particals in the primary filter (which is to be expected) but nothing like what the local place was claming. Funny thing is that HPFP and injectors is still working to this day!

TyCorr

Reaction score
Exactly, they are FOS.

The ford garage here has humped me in the anus on a few expensive repairs (for me anyway) that should have been warranty. Last one was my wifes van two years ago. We got a warranty recall notice in March of 12. Called right away. They said they didnt have the parts. Called weekly until June. I told them at that point that they are going to be responsible if it poops the trans out. Plus we still had an extensive extended warranty that covered the engine, trans, and electronic gadgetry. So I said they need to get the ball rolling. By July I was so damn pissed that I stopped trying. "
I left it at call me when the parts come in. Two weeks after that trans went out. No warnings. No stumbles. Gone. Bam.

They did absolutely nothing. They told me 4500 to put a new trans in. I explained that the recall was for the converter that is what failed and took the trans out. Anyway, I got screwed. I told that service manager that he was a crooked POS and I hope he gets his someday. He kinda smirked and shrugged like he wanted to tell me to get bent.

Last summer I was tossing the idea around about trading the 12dmax in and the owner of the gm dealer said "if you want a new powerstroke we sell those too". Come to find out they bought the ford garage that screwed me. I told him I wouldnt spend a penny there ever again. I told him I spent 5-6k a year on parts there and bought ten vehicles, wife 4 or 5 and her grandparents used to buy two every year until her grandpa passed from cancer. But her grandma still buys every year. I told him I might find a different gm dealer too as I cant do business at a place that has service managers that charge people for expensive repairs and then warranty them.

He was gone a week later. I bought a new truck this summer. Wife got a 2015 explorer last week. Everybody is happy.

I guess my long, drawn out point is somewhere along the way somebody has a soul and cares. That person will always do the right thing. If it was me, I would. My honor isnt for sale.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
wow! this just ***in blows donkey balls.. I drain my h2o/fuel separator every week if not 2 weeks and I have only gotten maybe a thimble full of water out of it that I noticed. but at times I have put 3k miles on in a 2 week period.

D, how often do you drain your separator?

live life full throttle

CATDiezel

Reaction score
This is exactly why i deleted my truck day 3.... what warranty?? I have personally seen this same issue happen to three guys I know relatively locally...

Latest posts

Members online