Painting hard plastic parts

hopefulHP

Reaction score
When painting hard plastic parts such as mirrors and your grill surround, do you use an adhesion promoter, or do you just use primer. Some help would be appreciated quickly. Sorry if this is in the wrong section

louisianashooter

Reaction score
When painting hard plastic parts such as mirrors and your grill surround, do you use an adhesion promoter, or do you just use primer. Some help would be appreciated quickly. Sorry if this is in the wrong section

I'm about to paint my headlights...I'm using adhesion promoter because this is smooth plastic. I ordered all my ptm stuff here.

what are you painting in particular?

little luke

Reaction score
I used adhesive promoter then primer. I also use the same paint supplier as recommended above. Color was spot on. Just read the directions and prep. I did my grill and mirror caps, getting ready to do my head lights

Attachments

• WP_20150126_15_10_48_Pro.jpg
    WP_20150126_15_10_48_Pro.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 126
  • WP_20150305_11_56_44_Pro.jpg
    WP_20150305_11_56_44_Pro.jpg
    641.7 KB · Views: 111

truckman1974

Reaction score
I used adhesive promoter then primer. I also use the same paint supplier as recommended above. Color was spot on. Just read the directions and prep. I did my grill and mirror caps, getting ready to do my head lights

Did you just use the spray paint can that they have available or did you get the paint and use real painting materials?

truckman1974

Reaction score
The spray paint. No more then I had to paint it seemed like a better option.

And it has lasted with no problems? How long has it been since you painted it? Do you ever go through a car wash or hand wash only? (I won't fit in a car wash but just trying to see how resilient the paint is). Thanks.

little luke

Reaction score
I painted everything about mid January and installed it all about 10 days later. I hand wash, and use a pressure washer. Ive had bugs, road grime and mud all over them. They still look like new. I didn't wax them till after a month as the instructions on the clear coat state.

louisianashooter

Reaction score
I painted everything about mid January and installed it all about 10 days later. I hand wash, and use a pressure washer. Ive had bugs, road grime and mud all over them. They still look like new. I didn't wax them till after a month as the instructions on the clear coat state.

When you did your mirrors, did you sand them down smooth, then adhension promote...prime....paint...then clear? Or did you skip the sanding? Im trying to figure out if the primer will fill in the texture and come out smooth after wet sanding the primer down.

hopefulHP

Reaction score
When you did your mirrors, did you sand them down smooth, then adhension promote...prime....paint...then clear? Or did you skip the sanding? Im trying to figure out if the primer will fill in the texture and come out smooth after wet sanding the primer down.
Mine are paint matched and I sanded them down completely smooth then adhesion promoter and then primer. They turned out pretty good

truckman1974

Reaction score
So I saw the spray paint can was something like a 12oz can. How far did that go? Did you only get one mirror done or both or what? How far did it last you and how many coats did you end up with?

little luke

Reaction score
A 12 oz spray can is equivilant to 7oz of paint. I did both mirrors and the grill with 2 cans of primer, 1.5 can of base, half a can(if that) of adhesive promoter, and 2 cans of clear. And thats with me ****ing up (wet sanded through the clear and the base) and having to re shoot one coat of base and the entire clear on the grill. I just followed the instructions on the can and the web site for the dry time and the number of coats.

Last edited:

truckman1974

Reaction score
So ultimately, how does it compare in price by doing it yourself vs. taking the parts to a paint shop? Did you save money, break even, or what?

little luke

Reaction score
I was quoted $200 for the grill alone, and that was if the yellow paint I needed didn't cost extra (nobody had it), and I an one of those people that wants to know it is done right. So $75 including sandpaper is what I have in it. I after a week I used a fine cut compound, swirl remover, then show glaze.

Just a heads up. If you spend $200 or $250 you get free shipping. So if you have some other people that would what a few cans for something it may be worth it. I ordered for my truck, my mustang, and two other boys trucks

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online