penny pincher 7.3L

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
looks a little snappier.. my brother is still up in the air on what he wants to do... how well does the trans hold up to your power increases? what would you recommend to my brother, he likes the power of the edge but is afraid of burning up the trans while towing.. maybe a tow tune and a hotter dd tune?

Last edited:

POWER-STRUCK

Reaction score
looks a little snappier.. my brother is still up in the air on what he wants to do... how well does the trans hold up to your power increases? what would you recommend to my brother, he likes the power of the edge but is afraid of burning up the trans while towing.. maybe a tow tune and a hotter dd tune?

does his truck have a good transmission? is it stock or modified?
has his turbo compressor wheel been upgraded?

transmission condition is the main factor on transmission life stock or tuned, so if the transmission has been neglected or abused it is more likely to fail at any horse power level! but if it has a good healthy transmission you should not have any problems. shift stategies, pressures and lock up can be adjusted to fit your needs and transmission hardware.

the tow tunes have been developed to have significant power increases for stock trucks. and is safe with a stock compressor wheel.

the 75/daily driver tune has more top end power than the tow tune and will not generate enough heat to damage the turbo while towing and gauges are not necessary but an upgraded turbo compressor wheel is highly recommended for 99-03 trucks inwhich the customer desires to gain 75hp or more.

egt gauge is recommended on trucks running 100hp and higher tunes

i would recommend a single power level 50hp (tow) for beginners then increase the files as you get supporting upgrades, as we know combinations are endless depending on what you want the truck to do!

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
a stock, supposedly freshened up trans from a local guy around here. stock sd turbo with 1st gen ww. Donaldson/6637 intake and 4" tb exhaust. thats it.. he has always owned and towed with a standard trans.... this is his first truck with an auto and is kinda leery about it... he just doesn't wanna trash it.
live life full throttle

POWER-STRUCK

Reaction score
a stock, supposedly freshened up trans from a local guy around here. stock sd turbo with 1st gen ww. Donaldson/6637 intake and 4" tb exhaust. thats it.. he has always owned and towed with a standard trans.... this is his first truck with an auto and is kinda leery about it... he just doesn't wanna trash it.
live life full throttle

A 75hp tow file would work great on this combination, 100hp if he wants second position or extreme with a egt gauge

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
cool. ill let him know.. do you leave the shift points at stock in your tow file or do you have your own set of parameters that you start out with?

live life full throttle

POWER-STRUCK

Reaction score
cool. ill let him know.. do you leave the shift points at stock in your tow file or do you have your own set of parameters that you start out with?

live life full throttle
just slightly firmer than stock with a little faster lockup. but if you want it different just let me know

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
is the extreme setting the same way? as in do you make that firmer then the tow file or do you leave that the same as stock?

live life full throttle

MossBack

Reaction score
Just installed a penny pincher single chip today in a new members truck. The truck is a late 99 and had a edge stacked super chips gold and had the famous touchy pedal.

Well I am shocked at overall get up on just the 50hp tune.
e8uharyp.jpg

He also had a bad overdrive power loss that would almost seem to fall on its face in OD. Well now just the run around town and quick 0-70 freeway pull it hammered down real good. With no smoke and under 1200* egt.

I will have him post some real world mpg gains as that was the most important factor in deciding on the 50hp. It's a daily that his wife drives and is lifted with 35" tires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

POWER-STRUCK

Reaction score
For a limited time I will be opening up a sale on the single position penny pincher. From now until July 10 the Penny Pincher will be available for $149 shipped

fordfreak4life

Reaction score
For a limited time I will be opening up a sale on the single position penny pincher. From now until July 10 the Penny Pincher will be available for $149 shipped

I'll be picking one of these up for my dad's e99

Sent while spinning 18 wheels

fordfreak4life

Reaction score
what mods the truck has, PCM code, desired hp gain and desired shift characteristics (if it is an automatic) paypal email address, shipping address should cover it

stock, 6spd... where do I get the pcm code

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
stock, 6spd... where do I get the pcm code

have to pull the pcm, it will be on the white tag... pull keys out of the ignition. could take battery cables off too... should be a 10mm bolt on the connection in the engine compartment right above where your left foot would be...

live life full throttle

Latest posts

Members online