Per safe ish tuning, beating a dead horse vendors chime in

CurtisF

Reaction score
massive pulse widths along with advanced timing at lower rpms are likely the cause of premature PMR engine failures.

some older styles of tuning had massive timing advances to help with responsiveness/ smoke control (hoping for hp and economy gains).

in my opinion if low boost fueling is controlled correctly most tunes can be smoke free yet if low boost fueling is limited excessively the tune could have a light switch effect.

each tuner has their own opinion of how to control each parameter, in this scenario the tunes should be chosen by how you personally would like the truck to respond.

Pretty much nailed it.

Some people feel the stock pedal is too dead. IMO making it a bit more responsive is perfectly fine as long as it's still very comfortable to drive and nothing more. To me a very touchy pedal just feels like lazy tuning where no effort was given to maintain drivability.

Extra power, even a little bit extra, means crap if affects your daily driving. I'd rather drive a bone stock truck that's slow and just putts along than something I have to fight with every second.

It's stupid easy to make a tune with balls-to-the-walls power, but it will be smoky and touchy. Takes more finesse to build a tune that drive like stock, but puts down the power exactly when demanded. There are a few tuners out there who have really nailed it down very well.

ja_cain

Reaction score
This is my thoughts exactly. I would like a linear/predictable response to how much go pedal I give. I used an analogy in another thread which was 4 stroke vs 2 stroke power in motocross bikes. The 4 strokes power delivery is just more usable but not as exciting as that 2 stroke hit. This is why I like the idea of compound turbos. Just can't be over zealous with the fuel down low just because the turbos can feed it. In other words, you end up with a very responsive (but not touchy if the fueling is done correctly) and clean running setup that isn't going to send the rods through the block. You also get the extended operating range that the big atmo turbo can provide. Forgive me if I sound like an idiot but this is what I've come up with after reading a lot of these threads, fwiw.

Last edited:

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
I don't have the smoke, but the pedal is more responsive than stock. I don't like the mushy pedal feel, but the trade off is bouncy road=bouncy foot.

So is a touchy pedal, but no smoke gonna hurt anything?
you shoupd be fine az long is there isn't a lot of smoke to go with the touchy pedal.

live life full throttle

Reaction score
I don't have the smoke, but the pedal is more responsive than stock. I don't like the mushy pedal feel, but the trade off is bouncy road=bouncy foot.

Do you still have Jodys tunes? If so, its just throttle position that is touchy, you can have him pull that to stock feel

cbf9703

Reaction score

I hate a super touchy pedal. Had one tune for the 6spd years ago that you couldn't drive in a parking lot without looking like a first time driver, bucking and bouncing all over the place. It was terrible... That lasted all of a few days before I had to get it fixed. I'm not willing to change tunes all the time just because of a touchy pedal when I know it can be better.

The Brad

Reaction score
I actually like the feel of my pedal as is. I wouldn't say its super touchy, it's just more responsive than stock. If I'm on a rough road, or going over speed bumps, it'll lurch. On the other hand, if a tune requires more pedal, you get a condition where the trans will downshift when it didn't need to. Since I've been live tuned, the truck drives and shifts exactly like I want it to. I told Jody I wanted early shifts in the DD tune because 95% of the time, I'm driving Miss Daisy. My only concern was with what Curtisf said about early fueling, but, again, I don't have smoke, and I have forged rods.

DocBar

Reaction score
I actually like the feel of my pedal as is. I wouldn't say its super touchy, it's just more responsive than stock. If I'm on a rough road, or going over speed bumps, it'll lurch. On the other hand, if a tune requires more pedal, you get a condition where the trans will downshift when it didn't need to. Since I've been live tuned, the truck drives and shifts exactly like I want it to. I told Jody I wanted early shifts in the DD tune because 95% of the time, I'm driving Miss Daisy. My only concern was with what Curtisf said about early fueling, but, again, I don't have smoke, and I have forged rods.
Brad, when I come back out to your place to swap IDM's with you, why don't you drive my truck and see how you like the tuning.

I can't say it often enough: live tuning is the way to go, or learn to do it yourself, like Curtis or Charles.

The Brad

Reaction score
Brad, when I come back out to your place to swap IDM's with you, why don't you drive my truck and see how you like the tuning.

I can't say it often enough: live tuning is the way to go, or learn to do it yourself, like Curtis or Charles.

I've been wanting to learn how to tune. Maybe I'll buy Minataur and experiment on your truck Dennis.

DocBar

Reaction score
I've been wanting to learn how to tune. Maybe I'll buy Minataur and experiment on your truck Dennis.
I don't think so, scooter!! :flipa::slap::postwhore2:

Actually, as soon as I find a little 2 seat convertible that I want, the old beast is going back to Texas so my son can use it.

Jomax

Reaction score
I hate a super touchy pedal. Had one tune for the 6spd years ago that you couldn't drive in a parking lot without looking like a first time driver, bucking and bouncing all over the place. It was terrible... That lasted all of a few days before I had to get it fixed. I'm not willing to change tunes all the time just because of a touchy pedal when I know it can be better.
Don't know for stick. But i loved the touchy pedal. Felt like a gasser. miss that on the 7.3 vs the 6.7 has a slight lag

Sent from my SM-P605V using Tapatalk

Tim @ P.I.S.

Reaction score
It was a tune out in the early days of the 7.3. Guaranteed to window a block.

Not exactly true. Back in the day before custom tuning I moved ALOT of TS chips and there were only two I ever heard of that had issues. Both tried to run propane with fuel 7, one blew the HG's the other slit the block.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
It was a tune out in the early days of the 7.3. Guaranteed to window a block.
lol
Don't know for stick. But i loved the touchy pedal. Felt like a gasser. miss that on the 7.3 vs the 6.7 has a slight lag

you know what works to get rid of that lag?

live life full throttle

Arisley

Reaction score
Not exactly true. Back in the day before custom tuning I moved ALOT of TS chips and there were only two I ever heard of that had issues. Both tried to run propane with fuel 7, one blew the HG's the other slit the block.

Thanks for the clarification. It was pretty much gone already by the time I got in this game.

I do remember people playing around with propane injection.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Thanks for the clarification. It was pretty much gone already by the time I got in this game.

I do remember people playing around with propane injection.
my cousin roached his 7.3 with propane. i had a guy try selling me a turbo and propane injection setup and i told him thats the stupidest thing to run on a 7.3.. he got all butt hurt.. asked him what the turbo was and he said its ***in huge. i sad drop in with stock uppies or does it come with the mount and uppies for a t4i or t4 turbo... he said no its a drop in... i just laughed and walked away..

live life full throttle

dsberman94

Reaction score

7.3 has a lag on stock tuning too. Or it just has no balls to feel anything until the turbo lights.

cbf9703

Reaction score

I like a responsive pedal, but not touchy... Fine line. Had to do a few tweaks for the 6spd to get it there. Never any issues in the autos. Honestly I think because my tuner personally has autos and didn't have much access to 6spd with that set up. Mind you, this was also 8 years ago or so.

Jomax

Reaction score
lol

you know what works to get rid of that lag?

live life full throttle

Please do tell LOL

Raced my old dually last night 65mpg to 95mph roll. I was slowly inching away till I hit the limiter. I was shocked. Thought for sure my old truck would hand it to me. Do want that lame limiter gone...

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Please do tell LOL

Raced my old dually last night 65mpg to 95mph roll. I was slowly inching away till I hit the limiter. I was shocked. Thought for sure my old truck would hand it to me. Do want that lame limiter gone...

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
i have already told ya.. lol

your dually was a turd... no way in hell a stock 6.7 should beat a good running 7.3... at least they wouldnt touch my dually...

live life full throttle

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.