PHP tunes questions

Jerrybizzle

Reaction score
I have a php Phoenix chip and am going to send it in for a reburn and going to change the tunes I have. I am wanting opinions on the whisper tune and the 140 extreme. I have the 120 race now which I use when not towing and have been seeing pretty good mileage out of. If I get the extreme I will not be hard on the truck all the time but I am wondering if I will see better mileage than the 120 race and also if the shift pattern is different. As for the whisper tune I have read mixed reviews, so just want to know who likes it and who doesn't. New tunes may be stock, 65 tow, 80 dd, 100 race, 140 extreme and whisper. Opinions??
Thanks

TyCorr

Reaction score
I have a php Phoenix chip and am going to send it in for a reburn and going to change the tunes I have. I am wanting opinions on the whisper tune and the 140 extreme. I have the 120 race now which I use when not towing and have been seeing pretty good mileage out of. If I get the extreme I will not be hard on the truck all the time but I am wondering if I will see better mileage than the 120 race and also if the shift pattern is different. As for the whisper tune I have read mixed reviews, so just want to know who likes it and who doesn't. New tunes may be stock, 65 tow, 80 dd, 100 race, 140 extreme and whisper. Opinions??
Thanks

I have high idle(1400), stock, 65tow, 80dd, 100 performance, and 140 extreme. Php obviously. Ive ran all the tunes that he offers for stock injectorz. I didnt like the whisper tune so I ditched it. If you live in drive thru windows, get it. The stock high idle isnt good enough for me or controllable so I opted for it. Dont be a knucklehead put it first so you dont ever pass through it.changing tunes.

I run the "race" tune pretty much all the time. I tow with it. You would have to be careful on hills flat to the floor most likely.

Jerrybizzle

Reaction score
Thanks. Well that's kind of what I had heard about the whisper tune so thanks for confirming. My truck isn't my dd so I don't go thru drive thrus often. Just thought it would be nice. Do you have upgraded transmission at all or stock with the 140? I am looking into a tru cool cooler but stock besides that. Upgraded valve body would be nice but can't do it right now.

TyCorr

Reaction score
My stocker chit at 250k. I put a used trans in that had 60k on it. I have a roadrunner converter to go in and ill add a valvebody if I feel it necessary. Im probably gonna get a twisted stg2 though. I want something beefier.

Jerrybizzle

Reaction score
That's not a bad run for the transmission. Alright well sounds like I just need to make my decision on what other tunes to get. Thinking 40 tow, 65 tow, 80 dd, 100 race and ??? 140 extreme? Or is there another tune that is highly recommended that I am overlooking.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Mine is a pretty good guideline. You should have a "stock" tune so if something happens. Although you can just unplug the chip in that instance but then you also.get shttiy stock tranny tuning too. Php stock tune is prolly 20-30hp higher than stock but the trans behaves unlike true stock. In stock setting my truck.will drive normal even during VSS temper tantrums. No erratic shifts into od at 35mph.

Heres my take on the tow tunes: the ones under 50hp are kinda pointless as the difference from "stock" is so negligible that id probably run "stock" if the 65hp tow was too hot. Which it wouldnt be. I pulled an old farmall and MM on a nice PJ trailer for my buddy and in my race tune it was fine. I dont know what they weigh but id say the trailer and tractors would be 20k, probably more.

I also have a 38r(with billet wheel, high flow outlet, 5" exhaust) , full fuel system, and stealth oil so maybe that stuff keeps me running cooler. Idk?! I pulled loads like that back in the day with my 100hp banks single pos chip and stock turbo though too. I guess it depends on how one approaches towing.

mandkole

Reaction score
the whisper may run ok and provide desired effect with stock injectors, but with bigger nozzles its a smoky one. the smoke completely offsets the quiet so its going away soon.

Latest posts

Members online