Picked up a 17

Jmuck

Reaction score
Front is out. Rear is in primer and if I decide to piss my wife off tonight I'll have the front in primer.

4B883B57-1743-49DA-88E5-E782DEDACBE4_zpsz0qmm6b6.jpg

Jmuck

Reaction score
So where is the picture from last night of the front axle in primer?

My wife's happy lol. We went ahead and shot the final costs on the rear to get it knocked out. I decided to take a little extra time and smooth out some spots on the front so it worked alright. Going in early to finish the front and tape it up for primer.

Edit: Sorry for the blurry pic
Here's the rear. It's by no means perfect, but looks damn good. I'll buff on it some this weekend.
35439C02-DE8A-4C8D-928B-180194BB996A_zpst8jw7c2r.jpg

Front's current situation.
The spindle's and shafts I shot in gloss black for some contrast. I'm leaving the drag link, tie rod etc gloss black for some contrast.

57B05218-89CB-488D-B797-16A1FB43C3C0_zps4hqoe544.jpg

Last edited:

Jmuck

Reaction score
Popped the driveshaft out and it's heading over to the polisher.
Posting so I'll have a before and after.

There's a couple spots we have to touch up on the rear end so no primer on the front tonight.
D270EAAB-C5C8-4A22-BB66-B8EA853A5AB5_zpshujudfzi.jpg

Jmuck

Reaction score
Front is in primer. Heading to the shop early early tomorrow to get color on it.
5F344D08-1B44-469E-A831-A0D87F28BCF3_zpse8elk2m1.jpg

Jmuck

Reaction score
Front is doneski. Turned out really nice for some amateurs. I haven't picked up a paint gun in ages.

0B985D6B-D206-4056-BD8E-EE00DDDB4983_zpsfsutqtaz.jpg

I'm redoing the rear. Had some rough spots that I just couldn't live with. Body worked it earlier and hitting in primer tomorrrow. Goal is to have the front buttoned back up by Sunday and the rear will have to wait until the PMF trac bars get in Tuesday and hopefully get them painted that night.

Jmuck

Reaction score
Looking so good! What kind of paint are you using? I figured most jobs like this were powder...

Thanks. I'm happy with it so far. It's nothing compared to most though.

PPG materials.

Most do powder, but I'm in a time crunch and didn't want to completely disassemble the axles and rebuild them for powder.

TLyons90

Reaction score
Thanks. I'm happy with it so far. It's nothing compared to most though.

PPG materials.

Most do powder, but I'm in a time crunch and didn't want to completely disassemble the axles and rebuild them for powder.

I don't blame you at all! I try and diy everything and since I don't have access to powder equipment but do paint and a gun I might attempt something simular myself!

Looks excellently done!

Jmuck

Reaction score
I don't blame you at all! I try and diy everything and since I don't have access to powder equipment but do paint and a gun I might attempt something simular myself!

Looks excellently done!

Thank you. We normally sub our paint work out to a friend at a local body shop, but I wanted to do it since I haven't had a chance to do real work on any of my builds the last few years. The bumpers were a different story though, I suck at body work and wanted them perfect since everyone will see them haha.

Our paint booth here is only large enough for us to do taillights and calipers etc so we had to improvise and use our spray liner booth. Lots of work to clean it up end of each day to get it ready to paint. Luckily two of my employees are pretty handy when it comes to paint also.

Mikeyfitz

Reaction score
Its looking awesome brother! Cant wait to see it next week!
May end up keeping my 17 after all, or get a raptor. This is just giving me more ideas

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
axles look badass!! turned out great for a "time crunch" job.. lol

live life full throttle

god bless america and the farmer who feeds your fat ass

Jmuck

Reaction score
Front is in, just lacks brake lines, trac bar and final torque of bolts.

Rear is under the truck. Thrash fest starts tomorrow to get the traction bars painted and rear buttoned up. After rolling the rear out of the booth, I'm disappointed in myself. Couple spots aren't so great, but I have to remind myself it's a daily driver.

Headlight assembly starts tomorrow also.

8AD1FEA1-7B29-46EF-8C2A-510D1A3FC725_zpsd9cplhex.jpg

A15F8EB3-05E7-4CE6-A000-B160498DE752_zpsj0ghxf65.jpg

Latest posts

Members online