Picked up a batch of antifreeze

evo45

Reaction score
I stopped by a shop that a friend of mine knows and pumped out their 55g oil tank on Friday only to find out there was about 15 gallons of antifreeze in the bottom. I let it settle over the long weekend and started draining it off this afternoon. The majority that I have drained off so far has been strait antifreeze but now it is looking like chocolate milk. Will there be a point where all of the antifreeze will settle out of the chocolate milk part or should I just drain all of that off too?

Since running on wmo I havent really done any long distance driving and decided to go on a road trip this weekend. My parents took their truck, a 2010 GMC 1500 w5.3, and my wife and I went in our F250. I brought an extra 5g fuel can for the trip but should have brought more. I ended up needing to put 10g of diesel in to make it home. My Dad said he spend about $150 on our trip and I spend $40 on diesel and about $24 on rug. Not too bad for a truck that weighs 3k lbs more than his truck. Now he is searching for a Superduty with a 7.3 so we can do some more cheap road trips!

crowz

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I'd probably chicken out and get another batch of oil but if I had to use it Id drain till it looked like pure oil.

whitejohn

Reaction score
Add a little rug to it and let it settle and get it out...I have a good enough supply now that any bad oil mixes I get I give to a farmer buddy of mine who paints it on his fences as a sealer and sprays it on his dirt roads to keep the dust down

evo45

Reaction score
I dont have any steady suppliers yet so I dont want to throw anything away unless I really need to. I'll add some rug to it and see what I come up with. I have drained off most of the antifreeze already but am just wondering about the chocolate milk looking stuff. I am not worried about getting water in my tank so much since the hydrosorb filter is supposed to stop 98% of flow when it gets clogged with water but I dont want to ruin my filter for for only a little bit of fuel. I'll keep draining it off till I start getting strait oil. Thanks for the help.

rsr911

Reaction score
Mix it with RUG as whitejohn suggested, the water/antifreeze will settle out in 1-3 days. Add 15% RUG based on the amount of WMO you believe is in the barrel. Mix it in real good and let settle, I bet you're shocked!

evo45

Reaction score
I added RUG this afternoon and mixed throughly, let settle about a half hour and got more strait antifreeze out. I'll drain some more out tomorrow and see how it goes. I have the oil in a 275g tote, should I raise the back of the tote to get all of the antifreeze toward the drain or do they funnel all the fluid to the drain by itself?

One of my oil pickup places called me today, not for an oil pickup but a diesel pickup. A customer had their new honda civic towed to the shop with a full tank of diesel! I got about 12g of diesel for $15!

rsr911

Reaction score
Totes will drain better when dead flat. Here's my recommendation, let it sit another 2 days without messing with it. Then pump off the TOP, you will never get all the crud out of the bottom of a tote so always use a stand pipe about 1-2" from the bottom. The cap should have a 2" bung in it. Make a stand pipe to fit that hole and then drill a small hole in the cap to let air it. I use a 275 gallon fuel oil tank, I welded a fitting at the 50 gallon mark, installed a valve and draw from there so the bottom 50 doesn't get disturbed much. I open the drain weekly to let water and sludge out. My WMO + 10% RUG coming out is nice shiny black. My neighbor now has 4800 miles on his on-board filter using my fuel. (7.3 IDI) Well "our" fuel really. He replaces the WMO and RUG he uses and I filter it for him.

evo45

Reaction score
I have over 2500 miles so far on wmo with about 20g of diesel added. I was on a road trip and didnt bring enough and I got some for $1.00 a gallon. Other than that I am going to stay on w85. Everything is working great! Other than picking up antifreeze tho.

How well do the totes drain, will they drain out completely through the 2" drain on the bottom? What I am thinking is if I use 2 totes, one that stays in the warehouse and one for pickups. If I did that I could always drain the pickup container into the other one from the 2" drain down to the bottom of the stationary container. I could let it drain slowly over night as to not disturb the stuff on the bottom of the stationary container. My incoming oil is always filtered so it wouldnt be too contaminated with trash only water if there is any.

I have so many ideas on how to set everything up just not enough money to keep throwing at it to do it. My wife keeps saying "when is this going to start paying you back" because I am always buying stuff to add on to my system. I have program on my phone that I input all of my car expenses into and it has figured that the f250 is costing me about $.043 per mile, that is better than her Honda Fit! My Kia Sportage that I used to drive to get good gas mileage was costing me $.18 per mile.

rsr911

Reaction score
Totes will drain all but about the last 0.5-1 gallon so you won't get all the water/crud out that way but you will get most of it.

evo45

Reaction score
By the time all of the oil has drained out it should push the water out first and leave a gallon of oil on the bottom. I just did a pick up today of 100g. It was from a tree farm and had some sand in it but no water. My pump wasnt very happy about the sand and next time I will leave more oil on the bottom of the barrel.

I am going to do like you said and put a pick up in the tote at the 55g mark and pull from there. I am also going to put a fill tube in the top of the tote that I can drain my pick up tote into so I can allow any water to settle to the bottom. I'll post some pics once I am done.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.