Pilot Injection from Innovative Diesel

TRX700XX

Reaction score
Just loaded a new tune from Eric at Innovative Diesel its his Extreme Street tune with Pilot Injection and early lock up , been driving on it for two days and really like this tune , whats cool is that at cruise you can barely hear the engine at all and it has less rattle at idle yet mash the skinny pedal and its on !!! anyone else tried his pilot injection tuning ? :fordoval:

Reaction score
I have his extream street but not pilot injection I don't think. Did he just add this or is it something you have to ask for? Any gains besides less engine noise?

TRX700XX

Reaction score
I already had the Extreme Street tune and ask him to make one with the pilot injection for me .. im going to have him write a tow file as well with it as I really like it.. i doubt there are any other benefits to it but it is nice on the highway not listening to the constant rattle otherwise it runs just like the extreme street I already had , I also have the xtremex tune as well definitely the quickest 6.0 tune I have ran !

strokin6L

Reaction score
Last I knew I thought only the early 6L's could get pilot injection in the tuning and I thought the pilot injection was done away with.

InnovativeDiesel

Reaction score
We've been building PI tunes for years. It was very popular in 2003-2004 when Ford originally took pilot injection away. There were a lot of unhappy customers who enjoyed the quieter idle. We extended the PI to a higher RPM to allow for quieter cruising speeds also. Some customers see an increase in mileage, others about the same. I've even had a few say they lost mileage. I don't notice much of a change, it's probably more dependent on how you drive and cruising speed.

Ford reused some of the original PI tables for the EBP/MAP recall, so it operates a little differently than the original Pilot Mode and works better on some computer codes than others.

PI isn't harder on the injectors, but it did cause white smoke at idle and rougher cold starts. Trucks that idled for long periods of time began to emit white smoke. The trucks would haze a little, like larger aftermarket injectors.

It's a really cool tune to mess around with and if you like a quieter ride, it's definitely an option.

loboost

Reaction score
We've been building PI tunes for years. It was very popular in 2003-2004 when Ford originally took pilot injection away. There were a lot of unhappy customers who enjoyed the quieter idle. We extended the PI to a higher RPM to allow for quieter cruising speeds also. Some customers see an increase in mileage, others about the same. I've even had a few say they lost mileage. I don't notice much of a change, it's probably more dependent on how you drive and cruising speed.

Ford reused some of the original PI tables for the EBP/MAP recall, so it operates a little differently than the original Pilot Mode and works better on some computer codes than others.

PI isn't harder on the injectors, but it did cause white smoke at idle and rougher cold starts. Trucks that idled for long periods of time began to emit white smoke. The trucks would haze a little, like larger aftermarket injectors.

It's a really cool tune to mess around with and if you like a quieter ride, it's definitely an option.

What exactly is pilot injection ?

InnovativeDiesel

Reaction score
I have his extream street but not pilot injection I don't think. Did he just add this or is it something you have to ask for? Any gains besides less engine noise?

In simple terms, pilot injection is when the injection event is broken into two different events to quiet the engine. A short pulse to get things heated up and then another longer pulse for the power.

In a common rail vehicle, PI is used to help with cold starts, as to not over fuel when it's cold. In Ford's use of the HEUI fuel system, specifically in the 6.0L, it was removed due to rolling idle, rough cold starts, and hazing out of the exhaust. There were no mechanical/physical issues, just working around the natural problems with the HEUI setup.

TRX700XX

Reaction score
I can attest to the fact that on my truck the pilot injection tune is better on fuel and combined with Innovative ficm flash its great ! If you havent tried the hand held flash device from Innovative your missing out on great throttle response and an increase in mileage of aprox 2mpg highway actually if i was to start over i would have done the ficm tune first then had them build custom tunes for the tuned ficm but you definately can run your current tunes with the performance flashed ficm..and see a substantial improvement but enough rambling I love the pilot injection tune hell you can leave the truck run at the drive thru...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online