Piston ring options to prevent blow by?

HOOV3R

Reaction score
Everything new on heavy equipment side does have a tube for the atmosphere but it goes thru a filter and also has the same deal it draws for ring seal

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

That's just a coalescing filter, to remove the vapors for emissions purposes. Emissions can be met without the need for that setup on most of the tier 4f engines, so it is going away.

CATDiezel

Reaction score
I'm rather befuddled and alarmed at the folks being "alarmed" of blowby. Blow by in a sense is a good thing. Seems a relearn is needed on every generation of new diesel owners.

Keystone rings contract and expand with heat and linear to load. Measuring blowby is best under a constant load.

And in short.... gapless rings are a terrible idea from a longevity standpoint. Those with gapless rings fully intend on having the engine apart from time to time for a freshing up. For the man looking for longevity from a "built" motor. Best to stick to stock keystone style gapped rings.

Blowby is your friend up to a certain point.

Charles

Reaction score
-10 draft tube near frame rail and move on with your life if the stock configuration is just too easy.

The draft tube will keep your leafsprings lubed, lol.

BTW, draft tubes were stock on everything until recently... Nobody knew how to give a *** before a few years ago. Some of us still don't.

Let it out, move on. If too much is oozing out at idle sitting at a light then run it to your turbo inlet.

Fast-6.0

Reaction score
And in short.... gapless rings are a terrible idea from a longevity standpoint. Those with gapless rings fully intend on having the engine apart from time to time for a freshing up. For the man looking for longevity from a "built" motor. Best to stick to stock keystone style gapped rings.

Blowby is your friend up to a certain point.

You are confused. The typical Zero-gap setup consists of the a Keystone top ring followed by a zero-gap 2nd. I haven't seen any reliability issue so far at 100K miles.

CATDiezel

Reaction score
You are confused. The typical Zero-gap setup consists of the a Keystone top ring followed by a zero-gap 2nd. I haven't seen any reliability issue so far at 100K miles.

I'm not confused. No worries. The acidic properties of the gas to flow past the piston into the crankcase to keep the ring lands alive for longevity and soot loading are the reason for "bypass"

What do engineers know anyways! Lol.... goofballs... always inventing worthless things in engine designs.

I say that with the attitude of jesting.

Gapless rings are well known to cause issues. High hp small block gas racing boys use them and they perform flawlessly. They also don't intend on having them in for any length of mileage but rather measured in passes.

My point is for the man or women worried about reliability and longevity. Stock rings (made note to keystone for education purposes) are best suited even for the 800hp crowd. Just run a larger ccv. And that's because the fact of the matter is they are not toying with 800hp but a very small percentage of time. So why run a ring or rings that are designed for the 2% of time that engine will see 800hp unless it's a dedicated track truck and one has no worries of longevity.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online