Please help, installed new wheels now feeling a "death wobble"

williamallen13

Reaction score
I have a 2011 f250 and I recently installed new 20x12 fuel wheels, 35x12.5x20 toyo mt, 4" springs, drop pitman arm, and drop radius brackets. Now when I get up to about 30 mph and hit any uneven pavement or bumps the front seems to want to wander back and forth. Has anyone who installed these wheels and tires had this problem? I read where the offset from these wheels can cause this and it can't be cured easily. It doesn't shake really violent but enough to make me slow down. A lift shop told me putting the factory pitman arm back on may help it. I had all the lift parts on except the drop pitman arm, wheels and tires last week and it drove fine. So today after installing the drop pitman , wheels, and tires it drives scary. Everything is torqued down. Please help?

williamallen13

Reaction score
Yes, all the bolts are torqued to spec. When it was jacked up I turned the wheels left and right to make sure it cleared the fenders and noticed the wheels had no play in them. I tried to turn them by hand to straighten the steering and nothing moved at all. I read where it could be the camber but also read somewhere where the offset form these wheels (20x12 -44) can cause it. I just need someone with experience to please give me some advise.

Motostroker

Reaction score
Please help, installed new wheels now feeling a "death wobble"

This^^ you want your track bar and pan rod bar to be parallel. If they are off slightly it can cause front end wonder. Even though you have the drop radius arm brackets, you need to get your alignment checked, do not go by factor spec, get them to kick out your castor to around positive 4.5 degrees. Trust me she will drive like new after that.

15c44d232e48ef3903f638d1846c01e2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
More than likely need to do something with your track bar. Either longer, or a drop bracket. Track bar centers the axle under the vehicle. As was said before, drag link and track bar need to be as close to even with each other as possible.

sootie

Reaction score
you need a drop track bar bracket or a new track bar designed for your height of lift. then get an alignment that sets your caster at 4-5 degrees and it will be fine.

FX44AU

Reaction score
The axle is shifted because the track bar is either too short or not dropped.

If he installed a new drop pitman arm installing a longer track bar won't correct the issue will it? I was under the impression that the angle of the drag link and track bar need to be the same. Therefore either install a longer track bar and leave the steering linkage alone or install a new drop pitman arm AND track bar drop. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

williamallen13

Reaction score
The track bar was shifted over about 3". Changed drop pitman back to the stock pitman and it went back to normal. Now it drives like stock.

Latest posts

Members online