PMF OBS Dana 60 Dual Steering Stabilizer Kit

leojr

Reaction score
Has anyone installed this on a truck with a sway bar?

Yes, but in my experience, the short answer is 'no'.

Not PMF's fault though. If you have seen a front D60 with a sway bar, you will understand how tight everything is.

I also have a PMF drop track bar bracket and it s much beefier than the stock bracket so it requires the end links of the sway bar to be longer to pivot it enough to provide clearance.

The forward facing center piece of the PMF stabilizer uses a back bracket to clam shell the bracket to the axle tube rather than using U bolts. Looks great installed, but the back bracket interfered with the sway bar due to my sway bar being pivoted by the extremely long sway bar end links.

I have not measured to see if using U bolts instead of a back bracket would provide enough clearance but I truly suspect it would not.

Even if U bolts would provide more clearance than the back bracket design, I am not confident that the ideal sway bar end link length could be found that accommodated both a drop track bar bracket and a U-bolted stabilizer.

One or the other? Maybe. I removed my sway bar to get the steering stabilizer mounted.

bluedge8

Reaction score
so serious question, why do the D60's have a sway bar? Is this truck going to body roll without it? sure doesn't seem like it. Did they think that they put that soft of a spring in?

fordfreak4life

Reaction score
so serious question, why do the D60's have a sway bar? Is this truck going to body roll without it? sure doesn't seem like it. Did they think that they put that soft of a spring in?
We pulled the sway bar off my dad's 2000 and the body roll and handling severly suffered. Needless to say it was put back on

NotStock

Reaction score
Unfortunately with the normal configuration of sway bar, it would likely take some mods for it to work. I worked a bit with Tom on this as his truck has one and even switching to a fabricated ubolt instead of the formed metal capture we have now, it doesnt appear there is enough room on his truck. Using a different length of sway bar link or sway bar spacer may have better results but it isnt something we have had the opportunity to work on a truck in house. With the minimal amount of clearance available, the only way would be for us to have a truck in the shop. Even then with the variances of trucks, lift configurations, etc it would likely require some user adjustments. If anyone has recommendations or ideas, I/we are all ears. I just didnt see any other options at the time when I spoke with Tom.

leojr

Reaction score
Agreed Trevor, it is just too tight in a rather low lifted truck like mine.

Someone said that if the front sway bar is removed then the rear should also be. I don't know why that statement was made. I have a rear sway bar (only) and it is about %80 as effective as a front. I'm happy with it.

And in case it wasn't said elsewhere, it is a dang good looking assembly and I like how it is braced to the diff.

NotStock

Reaction score
I just had a customer call me and say that he installed the dual stabilizer kit with a sway bar and had over 1" of clearance around it. Im having him send me pics so I can see how his is setup. Maybe there is a couple different formats of sway bars.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.