Poping noise

devon_344

Reaction score
I just got back offshore today and a buddy was asking me some questions about his 7.3. He said he was pulling his boat and he heard the noise start . Now it makes the noise when it's just sitting still idling. The best he can describe the noise is as if on a gas motor a spark plug had blowed out . Sound is coming from driver side .
Any advice and he would appreciate it

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
i third that! ive been threw 7 bent pushrods so far and you can here it popping through the intake or through the exhaust or it sounds like someone is rubbing steal on the side of a tin can from rubbing on the head gasket.

littleredstroker

Reaction score
My personal opinion is to keep it stock, unless this is a purely competitive truck. Which I do not think it is. Keeping it stock acts as a "fuse" of sorts to keep from more damage IMO.

Ford Pushrods

Smith Bros Pushrods

Makes sense... Let your weak link be something cheap and easy to fix.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

TrailerHauler

Reaction score
Could be an up pipe leak to, a bad leak will make a nasty popping noise like a cylinder with no spark plug would. EGT probe might have blown out?

sniper_101

Reaction score
Thought i read a broken piston cooling/oil nozzle can cause a similar noise bouncing around in the oil pan...

TARM

Reaction score
If it does turn out to be a bent push rod I would not just go and replace the rod and call it a day. Those rods do not just go bending themselves. It takes something else to bend a p-rod. Valve to piston contact maybe caused by worn/weak valve spring might be one of a few possibilities. Point is you need to figure out the cause so it does not happen again or cause more damage.

Latest posts

Members online