Possible air in fuel lines issue? Help Please

Smlarson

Reaction score
1995 F-350 Powerstroke

So I recently had idling issues that were throwing a ICP code. So I just replaced the ICP. I had to remove the fuel bowl and disconnect a bunch of lines to do this. So when I was done and after relentless cranking, I got it started, the check engine light didn't come on, and it ran good at first. When I took it on a test drive, as soon as I went full throttle, the motor cut back, check engine light came on, and if I let it go to idle the motor would die and be hard to start back up. It felt like when this happened I was not running on all 8, and the motor sounded different, like the turbo was louder than the motor. Now when I go to start it, it cranks up, and immediately dies, wont idle at all. Is this due to air in the fuel lines? And if so, how do I purge it?

ghohouston

Reaction score
You probably have a lot of air in your fuel system. Now my question to you is why would you remove anything to replace your icp sensor? And also, did you pull the fuel filter and let the fuel bowl fill with fuel first before you tried starting the truck?

m j

Reaction score
fuel should purge itself.
is there fuel in the filter?

InjectionControlPressure sender does not require the fuel bowl to be pulled as it is right on top driverside.
InjectionPressureRegulator is on the HighPressureOilPump and bowl would probably be in the way for that.
more likely that you have air in the HPO oil rails.
any time I play with the HighPressureOil the truck runs like crap until the air purges
ensure the reservior has oil in it through the small allen head plug on the top.
then pull the ICP and use a small funnel to fill the rail as much as possible
the passenger side #5ORB plug is harder to get to as it is under the lift eye and the GPR mount is attached there as well. when I had mine out I trimmed the bracket to allow that plug to be pulled.

ghohouston

Reaction score
^ yes, if you did infact change your ipr, then you probably have air in both your h.p.o. and fuel systems. You probably did change the ipr and not icp sensor. Either way, you need to run the hell out of the truck at highway speeds to work all the air out

Smlarson

Reaction score
You probably have a lot of air in your fuel system. Now my question to you is why would you remove anything to replace your icp sensor? And also, did you pull the fuel filter and let the fuel bowl fill with fuel first before you tried starting the truck?

no I just tried to start it, i'm new to diesels. and the fuel bowl was in the way I couldn't get a ratchet back there to unscrew the icp from the high pressure oil pump without removing the fuel bowl

Smlarson

Reaction score
fuel should purge itself.
is there fuel in the filter?

InjectionControlPressure sender does not require the fuel bowl to be pulled as it is right on top driverside.
InjectionPressureRegulator is on the HighPressureOilPump and bowl would probably be in the way for that.
more likely that you have air in the HPO oil rails.
any time I play with the HighPressureOil the truck runs like crap until the air purges
ensure the reservior has oil in it through the small allen head plug on the top.
then pull the ICP and use a small funnel to fill the rail as much as possible
the passenger side #5ORB plug is harder to get to as it is under the lift eye and the GPR mount is attached there as well. when I had mine out I trimmed the bracket to allow that plug to be pulled.

Also when I began this project I first pumped out the oil out of the high pressure oil pump from that allen head plug so I wouldn't spill it all over the motor when I removed the IPR. when I was done I just poored the oil in the filler cap on the valve cover, thinking it would fill back up on its own. is that where I went wrong?

ghohouston

Reaction score
Its not necessarily where you went wrong.. I see why you did it, but not necessary. Youre just gonna have to keep driving it, keeping in mind, it can take hundreds of miles to purge all of the air. Drive the piss out of it, itll clear the air quicker. Im sure it still takes a while to start, but it does still start right?

m j

Reaction score
manually fill the rails as much as you can through the ICP opening and the corresponding drilling on the passenger head, small funnel and fresh oil
ensure the rez is full of oil
it will still run like crap for awhile. white smoke, hard starting, rough idle

Smlarson

Reaction score
Its not necessarily where you went wrong.. I see why you did it, but not necessary. Youre just gonna have to keep driving it, keeping in mind, it can take hundreds of miles to purge all of the air. Drive the piss out of it, itll clear the air quicker. Im sure it still takes a while to start, but it does still start right?

sometimes it does sometimes it doesn't. it depends what kinda mood its in -.-
I keep trying to fill up the reservoir, but everytime I fill it up, 5 minutes later of leaving it with the plug off in the driveway, itl be lower than it was when I filled it before

94TurboDiesel

Reaction score
Do you not have a Schrader valve on you fuel bowl so you can purge the air. I purged all the air out of my system by cranking it purge the air and repeating til it started. Took care of the rough idle on mine.

Latest posts

Members online