Possible Head Gaskets?

xp1ik05

Reaction score
Well I'm in between a rock and a hard place right now trying to figure out what my truck is wanting from me. It's an 04 with 146k on it. Was all stock up until 139k. All "preventative" mods have been done minus studs as I've been more or less waiting. I'm anal on maintenance and have had no issues minus a blown boot on the turbo charge pipe and the clamp occasionally leaking on the egr delete. Very little things IMO. I've been running a tune that's pretty de-tuned for the reason of studs but still pretty aggressive as converter will lock nice and early and have ran SRL and X-Street in the past. Always monitor temps and everything is normal and oil cooler only has a few thousand miles on it as I ran into a deal on a new ford cooler so figured why not. Since I've owned the truck I've never got over 16 mpg no matter how I drive and EGT's seem to be slightly higher than others I've rode in / drove but still cruise around 700 and never go over 14-1500 on WOT. Recently dynoed to get a base line and was a lot lower than I was hoping, 358hp/670tq. The other day I got under the hood as I haven't had the chance lately as I've been running around back and forth to NC and VA and noticed I had puked some coolant from the degas bottle. Not a lot but some got out and I can not get it to do it again. Haven't found a gauge locally to test it but I'm lost. No smoke or coolant smell and coolant level seems to be holding as where it's always been. Replaced the cap just cause I've had a few new ones in the truck just incase. I was in the process of finding a turbo but feel like I need to be more focused on possible studding. Any thoughts? Thanks ahead of time.

BTW- was considering a new turbo cause when hooked up to the computer the vanes seem to be very slow to move when you up the percentage and I have intentions of larger injectors when the time comes.......

xp1ik05

Reaction score
Btw here is how much came out. Anyone have any suggestions?

36D43771-7DD3-4AF3-A339-3208B6021FCB_zpsmqn1md21.jpg

Reaction score
Needs the new cap for sure. I ran a similar setup for about 6 months. Would get a little out of the cap if I pushed it hard but no head gasket failure, just what they do. If your turbo is being lazy, split it and clean out the VGT vanes. Have a machine shop glass bead the unison ring and exhaust housing, makes it like new. Scuff pad or wire wheel the center section where the unison ring rides and some never-seize and it will be good as new.

xp1ik05

Reaction score
that was an old cap so i replaced it right after it did this, got it to puke again the other day, thanks for the advice but its getting the cab ripped off tomorrow, maybe they are bad, maybe not either way its time plus no better time than the present to go new injectors and turbo......thanks again guys

Latest posts

Members online