Possible rear end issue?

old96stroker

Reaction score
Truck is a 2006 f250 eclb 2wd with a 5.4 engine and zf6. I have a clunk or thud coming from under -rear of truck that I can't seem to figure where it is coming from. Motor-transmission mounts all seem fine as do u-joints and carrier bearing, We have had it on a lift and checked now a couple times. The sound seems to be getting a little stronger tone to it. It does it usually taking off in 1st gear with some slack in the driveline. The truck also has 250k miles on it and the driveline is all original except for a couple of clutches and came phasers being replaced. The truck has been maintained to a tee, to the point of every spring I change every fluid in it rear diff, transmission and coolant all changed every spring. The hour meter reads 5,096 as of this post. I think it is the rear differential just looking for some insight if anybody else has had this scenario play out on a similar equipped truck.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Try lubing the slip yoke, really common on 2 piece drive shafts, have seen it on a few 1 piecers. Dealer should have ptfe grease in a tube to lube the yoke with.

sethafrye

Reaction score
My 06 eclb has a vibration on hard take off, or when loaded or pulling a trailer. I changed carrier bearing bc it was going bad but still had issue just not as bad. Now that I think about it, my slip yoke was almost stuck, I greased it up but was still hard to get back in. That's probably my problem, need to pull it off again and clean an grease it up good. If I pull a heavy load it would vibrate real bad

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online