Post injector question

pilot4life

Reaction score
I just finished installing Unlimited's 238/80, GT38R, new up pipes and Irates full fuel system. Aside from the long crank as I haven't had the opportunity to run it WOT to clear out the air from the HPOP system I am getting a blue smoke under light throttle. I was only able to drive about 4 miles before I blew off an intercooler pipe, how long does it take to clear out the oil from the exhaust system or is this an indication that I tore an O-ring?

Pwnm30rdi3

Reaction score
Up to 100 miles (usually more like 20). Lots of stopping and hard starting. Drive it like you stole it.

^^ What he said.

If problems are persisting after 150-200 miles, then you can start diagnosing. What you are experiencing right now is completely normal!

pilot4life

Reaction score
Awesome. Thank you. I wanted to drive more but the popped boot limped me back home and the wife said no more tinkering today. It was exciting all the way to boom psssshhh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
Though 100-150 miles may be a good buffer, it generally will not take more than 10 hard miles to clear up 95% of the symptoms. Let it idle and warm up for a good 20 minutes, go drive it a little harder than normal with a couple good WOT runs, then drive it back home and I bet your good to go.

10-15 miles is the most it has ever taken after an injector swap, a complete motor build, hpop change, anything of the sort.

Tim @ P.I.S.

Reaction score
The rule of thumb I always tell customers is as soon as it takes the normal amount of time to crank, the air should be out. You will notice longer crank times, and they will shorten with each drive.

TARM

Reaction score
The rule of thumb I always tell customers is as soon as it takes the normal amount of time to crank, the air should be out. You will notice longer crank times, and they will shorten with each drive.

Agreed. And you should see improvements within 20 miles or so. If there are no improvements after 50 miles something likley needs to be addressed.

PSD POWER007

Reaction score
I usually take mine about 20 miles up the interstate. There's 4 exits in that distance. I get off each one and then get right back on hammering the throttle down each. By the time I do that up and back, my blue smoke is gone and crank times are back to normal. I do let the truck idle for about 20-30 minutes with some occasional revs before I take that drive.

pilot4life

Reaction score
Alright smoke is gone for the most part. Does the fuel pressure drop a little after the truck warms up because mine dropped about 7psi so I adjusted back up? Also I can't seem to get more than 28psi of boost. I have one of those turbo master mechanical waster gate controllers that dieselsite sells. The instructions say to start at 2.5in of distance in the spring between the brackets. I have made about 3 turns in but I can't get more pressure I didn't know if there is anyone out the who has experience with these things and how much adjustment you really need to do to make a noticeable change?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PSD POWER007

Reaction score
I make about 38psi on my 38r running pis 175/80's with stock fuel system with a FRX. Stock wastegate adjusted to open with about 28psi of regulated air.

pilot4life

Reaction score
Anyone got experience with the turbo wastegate master? I got 28PSI max boost and EGTs quickly pass 1200 in the econ tune. Running down the highway I appear to be running hotter.

Made a fuel pressure adjustment as the increased temp decreased my fuel pressure.

PSD POWER007

Reaction score
Need to check for boost leaks and pre turbo exhaust leaks.
You can tighten the gate on down and see how it goes. Just be careful and really monitor things.

pilot4life

Reaction score
Any easy way of finding exhaust leaks other than waiting for signs of soot? Anyone ever used a boot leak detector and hooked it up to the tail pipe and pressurize?

Last edited:

pilot4life

Reaction score
My exhaust is all welded. I replaced my leaky up pipes with the new bellowed ones so they are new. How quickly does soot show?

Fat fingered from Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online