Powermax HO vs RCD 68mm Powermax

SICKS LITER

Reaction score
Im on the fence between 205s & 225s and the 68mm pmax or the HO. My main concern is still being able to tow my enclosed trailer and car (6500lbs). Id like to make atleast 600 at the wheels on a big tune. My new motor will have elites ported heads, .5 camshaft and their intake manifold as well fwiw. Anyone have any feedback especially on the HO?

sootie

Reaction score
i would give James Barder a call and he will build you a charger to suit you needs.

barderturboservice.com

521turbo

Reaction score
I have a 68 with 190/100s it does not like to tow heavy. ******** srl tune. I wouldn't go with 100%

Breaking Habits

Reaction score
James has a really wicked 66/70.5 that we just put on my best friends truck here at the shop. Cleans up 175/75's from RCD. Truck has an RCD drop in cam and fuel system. Really awesome set up.

Thats the route I would go personally.

valvetick

Reaction score
Give Charlie a call or email from KCTurbos. He will build you the right set up. I had his stage 3 68 with 190/75's and went down to his stage 2 66 with 190/30's and it was the perfect combo to still tow my enclosed trailer on stock gearing and 35's and then unload it and take it to the track the next weekend.

The stage 2 and 190/30 ran 13.4 @ 100 weighing 8k lifted on 35" Toyo M/Ts and could still load a tow tune and keep temps manageable.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Give Charlie a call or email from KCTurbos. He will build you the right set up. I had his stage 3 68 with 190/75's and went down to his stage 2 66 with 190/30's and it was the perfect combo to still tow my enclosed trailer on stock gearing and 35's and then unload it and take it to the track the next weekend.

The stage 2 and 190/30 ran 13.4 @ 100 weighing 8k lifted on 35" Toyo M/Ts and could still load a tow tune and keep temps manageable.

I agree with this. I have pretty much the exact same setup as valve tick. I have a 38 foot fifth wheel toy hauler that weighs about 15k. On an idp tow tune temps only start climbing when im under the turbo. All i gotta do to drop them back to 1000-1100 is hit the tow haul button to kick it out of overdrive.

Dieselmore

Reaction score
I personally would call KC Turbo's. I have installed many of his turbo's with 0 issues, and his customer service is second to none. I also agree that you should go smaller than 68 if you still want to tow. A KC stage 2 is a awesome DD and Tow vehicle setup. Just my .02

Fast-6.0

Reaction score
You need to decide your goals, is this more hot rod or more tow truck? Is the tow a short trip and flat or does it cover some long steep grades?

A 68 is not the ideal for towing but would be ideal for a 600hp number.

valvetick

Reaction score
You need to decide your goals, is this more hot rod or more tow truck? Is the tow a short trip and flat or does it cover some long steep grades?

This is exactly right!! I had the 68 with big nozzles and made great power above 2200 rpm but towing through mountains was a pain so went down to the stage 2 which is 500-550 depending on fuel but has a lot more useable power for my type of driving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

valvetick

Reaction score
What size of nozzles are you running?

Sent from my 0PAJ5 using Tapatalk

If that was to me I had 190/75 and the stage 3 Which would tow fine if I didn't let it go into overdrive and kept the rpms above 2000 while towing. Then I went down to 190/30 and stage 2 for towing while still playing at the track. This combo was awesome made a a ton of useable power for my style of driving. For a stage 2 I believe KC is the only one using a 10 blade wheel and .71 housing so it doesn't surge as easy and flows more on top. Barder uses a 13 blade which doesn't flow as much on top but I could be mistaken. There are others on here that can confirm the differences.

Since then I got a bigger trailer and only tow over 20k #'s now so I went down to a 1.5 turbo and kept the 190/30.

All of this is with my truck running heavy 35's and stock gearing a geared or stock height tire will perform better with larger turbos and not lug as much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KCTurbos

Reaction score
The biggest we recommend for heavy towing is 190/30 or 205/30 and our KC stage 2.5... should be about 550-600hp on a good race tune and still tow max weight with ease as long as you are not running really big tires.

Like others have said a lot will depend on how you plan to tow. Are you just going to be going on a few short runs on flat ground at low elevation??? If so then you can get away with the 68mm and just get a good tow tune and watch your egts.

If you plan to go up to the mountains, tow at high elevaiton, or go up any really big hills then I would stay away from a larger 68mm turbo.

205/75 + our KC stage 3 68mm turbo should put you in the 600-650hp range on a good race tune, but it becomes hard to tow and we usually don't recommend it. Many tow just fine with no issues, just have to keep the rpms up.

SICKS LITER

Reaction score

I want a hot street truck that I can tow 6500lbs with a few times a month during racing season. Im at sea level here and dont run into many if any steep grades, I primarily tow my car to the drag strip 45min away which is all highway with slight grades here and there.

my truck weighs in at 7200-7300lbs and has stock 3.73s and stock size tires.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online