powermax or swamps 65 vgt

powerstroke602

Reaction score
Gonna be on stock injectors for a bit. Plan on making 575-625hp. Something still daily drivable too. Will do injectors based on which I decide.

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
We have a few options for you!

Our S2 is a 64.7mm billet with a 10 blade turbine. Will spool as good or better than stock and provide the airflow to make 550+.

In stock and ready to ship today!

KCTurbos

Reaction score
I have heard very little about the swamps 65mm vgt... don't know much about them at all.

If you get the powermax then make sure to budget for a billet wheel on top of that. You will be hard pressed to make 625hp on a billet pmax without a ton of other mods but it is possible.

A 64.7mm or stage 2 will have very similar results to a billet pmax... It can easily make the 550hp goal but I don't see very many getting above 600hp without a ton of supporting mods

A 68mm or stage 3 vgt will make your hp goals much easier to achieve and can be easily driven on stock injectors... but they will not be optimal on stock injectors.

Here is a link to some info about our KC 68mm stage 3... let me know if you have any more specific questions. We can build them from brand new or from reman turbos

http://powerstrokearmy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46105

sootie

Reaction score
Gonna be on stock injectors for a bit. Plan on making 575-625hp. Something still daily drivable too. Will do injectors based on which I decide.

i would hit up James at Barder Turbo service. he has built turbos for me in the past. stand up dude with many options and can build whatever you like according to whatever your budget is. turnaround time is awesome. He is NHRX2009 on here.

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
I guess it all depends how long you plan to be on the stock injectors! The 67.8 would definitely leave you room to grow but the 64.7m would run absolutely amazing now and then, for most wanting 575, they get 500 and realize its plenty.... just my experience though.

powerstroke602

Reaction score
No I'd be happy in the high 500's. I'd just like to be able to maybe break into the 12's with it on a good day. Bad day low low low 13's

djberg

Reaction score
my .02 on your question, how far do you want to go after your purchase? will you be happy once you make your purchase or will you catch the "bug" and keep going after?

is your truck studded and all that, ready for more cylinder pressure?

on to turbos and sticks, i've been researching for the last month or so just about exactly your question, and i'll give you what i have come up with. so myself i am planning on one "big" upgrade then that's it for a good while. turbo wise from what i have read there are two ways to go barder or kc, and both have great followings and serious results(results are obviously based around a good tune as well).

kc- the stage 3, you send him your turbo and he mods a custom compressor and turbine to your stock main body and stock vgt actuator, but he does also install his custom unison and vein combo(i think). from what i have conceived it works well with 175 and up injectors so if you wanted a bit of expansion room in the future his turbo is a great option. also his vid of his truck this turbo and 175/75's is enough to make you look for a towel after watching: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a***a6p0pxA

barder: i myself am leaning this way and the only thing that has really swayed me this way(for now, still have a month before i make my move), is james builds his turbos from a new powermax body, so there is no core charge, no down time other than installation, and you can keep your stocker as a back up, just in case. one time purchase his 2.5 looks really nice but i'm not sure how well it will handle stock sticks until you upgrade, with the 70.5mm turbine. but there are a few write ups with the stage 2 on stock sticks that are dynoed at just under 500(175/75's have pushed the upper 5's again with very good tuning), and the guys are stoked.

so i would say if you are planning on a turbo only purchase, i would go stage 2 from james and if you have enough money some ficm tuning. those together should make you a happy happy guy.

but like i said it's just my thoughts on where to go it's your truck and you know where you're gonna go with it, good luck

DJ

windrunner408

Reaction score
I've never really been a fan of the "65mm VGT" options that I've tried, and I've tried about 4 of them. IMO they are really a waste of a turbo. I'd either get a less expensive 63.5mm billet option or hop up to the 67.8. Jmo though.

Mwilbur516

Reaction score
I've never really been a fan of the "65mm VGT" options that I've tried, and I've tried about 4 of them. IMO they are really a waste of a turbo. I'd either get a less expensive 63.5mm billet option or hop up to the 67.8. Jmo though.

I've got 63.5 mm billet turbos on the shelf ready to ship as well.

Both perform great. Personally, I like the 64.7mm for trucks running 175's. That's my plan with mine. My opinion is based on my experience though. No hard numbers, just personal experience. My new S2 is running exceptional well, better than any turbo that's ever been on the truck. I couldn't be happier right now. But soon I'll be happier because I've got WPE 304SS uppipes, WPE regulated return and WPE ported intake with full EGR delete , on its way to me. I feel like I'll be VERY happy when this stuff makes its way into my truck.

Sent while driving, drinking coffee and threatening to kill people in traffic.

swinky

Reaction score
Daily drivable is different from person to person. If you're looking at staying with the stock trans and fuel system I'd go with 175/50s and one of those 63.5mm and call it a day.

Sent from my SM-T210R using Tapatalk

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
Daily drivable is different from person to person. If you're looking at staying with the stock trans and fuel system I'd go with 175/50s and one of those 63.5mm and call it a day.

Sent from my SM-T210R using Tapatalk

Stock fuel and stock trans?

Stick with a 155/30 at max. I don't know where some of you measure fuel pressure at, but if you measure it on its way back to the tank.... no way will the stock system hold a 175/50 properly built injector.

And with the ability to burn all 175cc you can definitely tear up a 5r110 in a matter of months...done that more times than I can count haha

swinky

Reaction score

Stick with a 155/30 at max. I don't know where some of you measure fuel pressure at, but if you measure it on its way back to the tank.... no way will the stock system hold a 175/50 properly built injector.

And with the ability to burn all 175cc you can definitely tear up a 5r110 in a matter of months...done that more times than I can count haha

Yeah my brand new stocker lasted 3 weeks with 190s

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Demon6.0

Reaction score
I'm running a MTW Madmax with a 66mm billet wheel. Although I installed 190/75s at the same time so I can't say how it would run with stick sticks, it's a monster with 190s. Builds boost very fast.

Sent from the drivers seat of my Lariat using Tapatalk

Mwilbur516

Reaction score

Yeah my brand new stocker lasted 3 weeks with 190s

Yep. I blew my stock trans to pieces on stock injectors. Its all about how you drive with the power. I kinda feel like, if its there, use it. That line of thought usually requires upgraded parts.

Sent from my BNTV400 using Tapatalk

swinky

Reaction score
Yuhpp. Talked to twisted today. It's getting a stage 3 and not looking back.

Latest posts

Members online