Primary Fuel Filter Question

BigNiner19

Reaction score
I've changed the fuel filters on my 6.4 a couple of times now. My truck is a 4x4 so it has the driveshaft in the way and makes it very tight removing/installing the lower filter/seperator.

What I typically do, is slide the new filter element into the housing seperate from the cap. It seems nearly impossible to snap the filter into the cap doing it seperately up inside, so I just slowly start tightening the cap hoping the filter stays straight.

Is this proper procedure or am I missing something to take the guess work out? Also, if the filter did happen to go crooked with the cap tightened down would that be a fuel restriction or a leak?

I dont have any current issues or problems, and truck runs great, but I am trying to seek better methods or more knowledge as there might be an easier way to change them out.

Thanks

vr6dub

Reaction score
I can pop them together right before I screw the cap onto the housing. I always pop the filter into the housing, get the cap in place, pull the filter back out, snap it into the cap, and then screw the cap on. When I take it apart, I just pop the filter off the cap, pull the cap out, and then filter... never had any issues. Mine's lifted 5 inches and 4x4.

Sideswipe505

Reaction score
I have no issues swapping fuel filters on my truck, I feel like it is a pretty easy chore. I gotta get a new fuel filter cap though, the previous owner really chewed mine up and it's no fun to wrestle with.

Use a big oil filter wrench (the band clamp type) to help you loosen up the cap. I'm not sure if that's an issue for you OP but it sounds like any advice can help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online