problems after motor rebuild and 190 injectors

jrex2506

Reaction score
just had my motor rebuilt, all new ford stuff including harness. also had my injectors gone through by warren so I'm running 190/75 with 03 turbo and batmowheel. setup runs good except about 55 mph. if I stay a constant speed it almost misses or sputtering. with cruise on it seems rpms r jumping some. if I speed up it stops. if I take off hard it doesn't do it. all gauges look good but also seem like the injectors are louder at idle. they have 150 miles since install so looking for ideas. no codes.

sent while on on patrol.

jrex2506

Reaction score
yes but had new tunes from warren I'll already installed

sent while on on patrol.

jrex2506

Reaction score
I have it detuned for right now til I get on. would that be some of my problem

sent while on on patrol.

jrex2506

Reaction score
wouldn't they show a code if they were the problem

sent while on on patrol.

KCTurbos

Reaction score
I had a similar issue years ago. Only happened when lugging the motor in OD. Truck would shake/miss. If I sped up past 2000rpms or unlocked the tq converter it went away. I chased it in so many different directions. ICP, tq converter, tranny, tunes, fuel pressure, etc... etc...

I ended up changing the injectors and the problem went away.

cRaZy8

Reaction score
IPR valve.
Its a stepper motor, they can get stuck in certain ranges.

When you hold a constant speed in high gear at 55, the load is pretty high on the engine, demand for the IPR opening isnt very high due to lack of throttle input.
Smash the throttle, and demand goes way up and the valve opens more allowing more ICP.
Partial throttle is usually where they stick.
Typically after an oil cooler has been serviced or opening up the HPOP system- debris of some sort usually gets in the system, IPR valves seem sensitive to gunk.

You should be able to see this happening on a monitor or scanner.
Watch the IPR % and ICP voltage. Ill bet the ICP voltage is fluttering when you are experiencing the issue.

jrex2506

Reaction score
I hope its not the injectors after a couple hundred miles. I'll double check my fuel pressure then look at the IPR.

sent while on on patrol.

crash86

Reaction score
IPR valve.
Its a stepper motor, they can get stuck in certain ranges.

When you hold a constant speed in high gear at 55, the load is pretty high on the engine, demand for the IPR opening isnt very high due to lack of throttle input.
Smash the throttle, and demand goes way up and the valve opens more allowing more ICP.
Partial throttle is usually where they stick.
Typically after an oil cooler has been serviced or opening up the HPOP system- debris of some sort usually gets in the system, IPR valves seem sensitive to gunk.

You should be able to see this happening on a monitor or scanner.
Watch the IPR % and ICP voltage. Ill bet the ICP voltage is fluttering when you are experiencing the issue.

I see your theory and I think you're right but your thinking on the operation of the ipr valve is incorrect. As more voltage is sent to the ipr valve the more it closes and allows more oil to the rails. Just trying to clarify

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rob D

Reaction score
I vote injectors. Had the same thing happen to me. Sometimes one or two of the injectors new out of the box can have a problem. I know most people do not want to accept the fact that new parts are what causes the issue...especially if you don't know how to do the work yourself and have to pay the labor again...but taking emotions out of it - if nothing was wrong with the truck before odds typically are whatever did change is the cause of the problem. Get a scan tool on it and look at the power balance if you want to try and hone in on what hole is the problem...hopefully it's only one side. Injectors are an easy job you can do yourself just make sure to do your research and ask people questions if you don't know what your doing.

jrex2506

Reaction score
I rebuilt the truck so labor is me lol. just took several months to get going again and still not right. bout ready to shove it over a hill. I've spent so much money in this truck, and its just never ending.

sent while on on patrol.

jrex2506

Reaction score
I've got a spare IPR I'll swap in. redoing fuel system again and run a scan on the injectors to make sure its that

sent while on on patrol.

cRaZy8

Reaction score
I see your theory and I think you're right but your thinking on the operation of the ipr valve is incorrect. As more voltage is sent to the ipr valve the more it closes and allows more oil to the rails. Just trying to clarify

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lol. You are correct. Dyslexia at its finest.

Did you swap the IPR yet?
My money is on that part over the injectors.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.