problems with my 01 7.3

01 blue 7.3

Reaction score
I started it and. Drove 2 blocks and it just up and dies, won't start again. Its cranks over, sometimes runs for a few seconds but doesn't have the diesel knock, black smoke comes out of tail pipe, then white smoke. I changed cps. It won't start if I try to pull start it. Any ideas what the problem could be?

Arisley

Reaction score
First off, what scanner are you using. It makes a difference on our trucks. We need to get somebody close to you with AE or another good scanner hooked up to it. That way we can see all kinds of things that it is doing.

Arisley

Reaction score
It is 360 bucks, but it is worth every penny. Cheap if you compare it to the good stand alone scanners in it's class.

Atsah

Reaction score
Does it turn over okay? I read your other thread were the belt broke on ya.. Is battery voltage good and charging okay? Do you have good fuel pressure?

Arisley

Reaction score
A quick test for fuel pressure. Attach a hose to the fuel drain line under the truck. Drain the bowl. Place the end of the hose in a container. Leave the valve open. Turn the key on. You should pump a quart in about fifteen seconds. It's not perfect, but it works.

01 blue 7.3

Reaction score
A quick test for fuel pressure. Attach a hose to the fuel drain line under the truck. Drain the bowl. Place the end of the hose in a container. Leave the valve open. Turn the key on. You should pump a quart in about fifteen seconds. It's not perfect, but it works.

i just tried this, and it flows fuel but not any where neer a quart in 15 seconds.

Atsah

Reaction score
Well 1/4 of a five gallon bucket would be 25% of five gallons.. Sounds like she is pumping fine..

I wish I could help more but I'm not a 7.3 guy..

01platinum

Reaction score
What about the harness under the valve cover? It might have come unplugged, that is something else to check.

01Platinum's Command Center

Big Bore

Reaction score
What about the harness under the valve cover? It might have come unplugged, that is something else to check.

01Platinum's Command Center

Thats exactly what I was thinking when he described the symptoms.

No you don't need a new gasket. What you need is the repair clips from Ford. The main harness connector under the VC has prob come loose, it's very common. And fix both sides.

Latest posts

Members online