Problems with Water Methanol??

GotStroke

Reaction score
I currently have and have been running a Snow Performance Stage 3 setup, until the end of last year when I swapped out manifolds with everything else. The manifolds weren't drilled/tapped prior to install for my EGT probe and I haven't taken the time to do so yet.

I have had great success with the kit when I was simply tuned and deleted. Since my upgrades EGTs have been low and haven't really needed the kit.

I am now trying to decided whether to drill and tap and use it or ditch the kit. I would like the extra cooling when on a long steep grades towing heavy but I have read recently that the water meth is bad internally for the motor?!? (Specifically rings)

I have and alway will run pure 50/50 mixture of 100% methanol mixed with distilled water, not tap or washer fluid. (Don't trust it in my engine, maybe that is what's causing issues????)

Curious whether this was just haters on water meth, people using bad mixtures( bad washer fluid or tap water) or if there is real facts behind it. I spent $1000 on the kit and would rather not chunk it but if it will kill my engine, its gone.

Super08Duty

Reaction score
Agreed, ditch it. There's no real need for water/meth on a 6.4. Egts should be fine no matter the grade. Meth can be a problematic injectable if not done right, just like nitrous and propane. Sell the kit and put the money towards a larger low pressure charger.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

dmkolb

Reaction score
I have one on mine and love it. If you want to keep the kit then keep it. I wouldn't get rid of mine. I like it that much. Doing the same thing you are. I mix my own methanol 50/50. I'm running a Snow Performance MPG Max kit with two 375 nozzles and a 625 nozzle.

powerstroked08

Reaction score
Water/meth doesn't do much on these 6.4's and its not really fixing anything. Just get a low pressure turbo and watch the egt's drop for good. Not for just a push of a button.

dmkolb

Reaction score
Water/meth doesn't do much on these 6.4's and its not really fixing anything. Just get a low pressure turbo and watch the egt's drop for good. Not for just a push of a button.

How can you say water/meth doesn't do much on these trucks when it's doing exactly what's it's suppose to do in my 6.4? My EGTs are lower and I have a dyno sheet before and after that shows a 34 RWHP gain from when the system is on vs when it was not. This is from when I was deleted, intake exhaust and tuner. So stating it doesn't do much is just false. Turbos are expensive and yes he could go that route but he could save some money and go the water/meth route and get lower EGTs as well. To each there own but again I'm glad I have mine.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
How can you say water/meth doesn't do much on these trucks when it's doing exactly what's it's suppose to do in my 6.4? My EGTs are lower and I have a dyno sheet before and after that shows a 34 RWHP gain from when the system is on vs when it was not. This is from when I was deleted, intake exhaust and tuner. So stating it doesn't do much is just false. Turbos are expensive and yes he could go that route but he could save some money and go the water/meth route and get lower EGTs as well. To each there own but again I'm glad I have mine.

I would recommend to ANYONE, that there are much safer ways to add 34 hp . these pistons are unpredictable as is. I wouldn't , personally, add an injectable to the mix. I helped with a test and running straight water the EGT's did not drop.

what were your before and after dyno #'s ?

dmkolb

Reaction score
Before was 534 rwhp no spraying. When spryaying we made 566 rwhp on 50/50 mix. EGTs are lower when spraying when doing wide open pulls on the road vs when not. I haven't got anything written down so I can't give you an exact but they are lower. The dynos are below. First one we didn't get a torque reading on when not spraying we didn't get a torque reading on.

06-06-2013dynorun310tunenotspraying_zps8a31d066.jpg

06-06-2013dynorun310tunespraying_zps9ace04bc.jpg

B585Ford

Reaction score
Before was 534 rwhp no spraying. When spryaying we made 566 rwhp on 50/50 mix. EGTs are lower when spraying when doing wide open pulls on the road vs when not. I haven't got anything written down so I can't give you an exact but they are lower. The dynos are below. First one we didn't get a torque reading on when not spraying we didn't get a torque reading on.

06-06-2013dynorun310tunenotspraying_zps8a31d066.jpg

06-06-2013dynorun310tunespraying_zps9ace04bc.jpg

Just to be clear, were there ANY other mods done between dyno runs? Obviously it wasn't on the same day, but was that on the SAME dyno? Similar temps, humidity, tires, etc.?

Super08Duty

Reaction score

An atmo is not that much more than a water meth kit. He'd lower Egts while increasing power. What's cheaper, running water meth and raising your chances for piston problems...resulting in a motor rebuild. Or swapping the low pressure turbo and not having to constantly fill a tank? 34hp gain and slightly lower egts don't justify the price imo

dmkolb

Reaction score
It was done on the same day same dyno the only thing that changed was I turned on the Water/Meth system to spray.

powerstroked08

Reaction score
An atmo is not that much more than a water meth kit. He'd lower Egts while increasing power. What's cheaper, running water meth and raising your chances for piston problems...resulting in a motor rebuild. Or swapping the low pressure turbo and not having to constantly fill a tank? 34hp gain and slightly lower egts don't justify the price imo

Exactly what I was getting at. To each their own but I prefer to always have lower temps without having to deal with filling a tank or mixing crap.

GotStroke

Reaction score
Figured, already have elite tow powers, elites Z-Max ported intake, elite 6.0 manis with elite custom up pipes, No limit EVERYTHING minus hot side and wastegate. Testing out an intercooler for a friend.

Pulled my trailer out and around to see how the truck handled the new trailer and went up a Toll bridge from 0-60 4.2% grade for just under a mile and held 750-820 until it locked and shifted to fifth then stayed under 920 so I'm happy. Just need to swap out trans tuning when towing and Ill be fine.
uga7a9aq.jpg

Sounds like the meth kit will be paying for material for spacers so I can get my airbags on....

GotStroke

Reaction score
BTW, 1200 miles after installing upgrades and leaving water meth unhooked for the reason mentioned above, I had a piston let go under cruise control....... Had driven 672 miles headed cross country and had never exceeded 1000EGT the whole trip, It was the first trip after work and EVERYTHING was so much cooler and I was happy with the results and boom, smoke no vibration until I took off cruise control. I wasn't hooked up only a bed full a crap.

NOTE: I now understand the "knock" was an injector that had been shut down by the truck, I was so freaked out when I made the video I wasn't thinking straight.
http://youtu.be/T4y4ld4NszY

powerstroked08

Reaction score
The pistons are a total crap shoot sadly. But it sounds like you have a great build so far! And I think I know who this friend is and I'm about to have one of those intercoolers as well!

Last edited:

LovinPSDs

Reaction score
i'll pitch this in for water meth... A buddy of mine had a check valve fail and twice almost hydrolocked his motor.

While I am one for alternative fuels/injectables/ect... Just not worth it on a 6.4

GotStroke

Reaction score
The pistons are a total crap shoot sadly. But it sounds like you have a great build so far! And I think I know who this friend is and I'm about to have one of those intercoolers as well!

Its awesome, more than happy, I'm just testing and reporting to him ill let him do the talking. But I will say, with as much as I have done to the truck, to see as much of a drop and sustained colder temps, was awesome.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.