progammer and its effect on fuel mileage

Nathan1234

Reaction score
i have an 06 regular cab automatic and all it has iss a straight pipe and i was wondering how a pod mount programmer or a ficm tune would affect my fuel mileage

sootie

Reaction score
get an SCT tuner with gearhead tunes and mileage will increase. a no limit cold air intake would be a worthy addition also.

Josh923

Reaction score
I'm going to play the devil's advocate and sort of disagree with sootie.
Whether or not cold air intakes on 6.0's actually provide any benefit is arguable. Many people believe it isn't worth the money to upgrade because the stock part is efficient enough to where adding a CAI doesn't provide any true improvement.

I have a SCT Tuner with Quicktricks Performance tunes. I've also ran Innovative Diesel tunes. I absolutely love the tunes from Quicktricks (vivian's tunes, looney tune, etc etc). They really bring the truck to life. However, as far as MPG's go, I've seen an increase, but not by much. The reason most custom tunes are known to bring mpg gains is because they allow you to get up to speed faster and easier, and then maintain that speed. This is contrary to the stock tune which would take longer to get up to speed.
Don't expect a tune to make your truck way more fuel efficient. Not realistic at all.

TL,DR
Custom tunes with SCT programmer are worth the money, but not really for MPG gains.
If I'm real easy on the pedal, I can see a 2mpg or so gain with my custom tunes, but that's it.
I've heard great things about Atlas 40hp FICM tunes. Yet to try it out, but look into it. Heard lots of people are getting 2-3mpg increases.

Last edited:

Josh923

Reaction score
Also, look into an EGR delete if you haven't. Sometimes people see MPG increases after removing it because of the whole exhaust fume situation. It'll also save you some hassle down the road.

sootie

Reaction score
I'm going to play the devil's advocate and sort of disagree with sootie.
Whether or not cold air intakes on 6.0's actually provide any benefit is arguable. Many people believe it isn't worth the money to upgrade because the stock part is efficient enough to where adding a CAI doesn't provide any true improvement.

I have a SCT Tuner with Quicktricks Performance tunes. I've also ran Innovative Diesel tunes. I absolutely love the tunes from Quicktricks (vivian's tunes, looney tune, etc etc). They really bring the truck to life. However, as far as MPG's go, I've seen an increase, but not by much. The reason most custom tunes are known to bring mpg gains is because they allow you to get up to speed faster and easier, and then maintain that speed. This is contrary to the stock tune which would take longer to get up to speed.
Don't expect a tune to make your truck way more fuel efficient. Not realistic at all.

TL,DR
Custom tunes with SCT programmer are worth the money, but not really for MPG gains.
If I'm real easy on the pedal, I can see a 2mpg or so gain with my custom tunes, but that's it.
I've heard great things about Atlas 40hp FICM tunes. Yet to try it out, but look into it. Heard lots of people are getting 2-3mpg increases.

Also, look into an EGR delete if you haven't. Sometimes people see MPG increases after removing it because of the whole exhaust fume situation. It'll also save you some hassle down the road.

you probably get sucked in by Banks marketing too right? smh

some of us have had a few trucks and tried a few setups-maybe quit while you are ahead here...

bad moose

Reaction score
Sct with custom tune 1 to 2 mpg and the ficm will add another 1 to 2 mpg. You should not expect miracle but some gains. The main thing is to keep your foot out of it and find the trucks happy rpm range. A intake will help, again no miracles, I just added a airraid filter to the stock box and gained .5 mpg.

Josh923

Reaction score

some of us have had a few trucks and tried a few setups-maybe quit while you are ahead here...

That made no sense. But alright.
I wasn't intending to offend you, simmer down

Last edited:

Josh923

Reaction score

That made no sense. But alright.
I wasn't intending to offend you, simmer down

Twan

Reaction score
Everyone always says they will. You will see 1-4 mpg. Yeah yeah, great selling point.

Stock 6.0's get 12-20, tuned 6.0's get 12-20. It's all in how you drive, tire's, lift and weather. I had a perfect weather day once and got 25 mpg running 80. 40 mph tail wind was the help. Not the tuning. Lol.

If you got live tuning it would help you the most because live tuning is for your truck only. They can see what it's doing. E mail tunes are still a nicer caned tune. The tuner can't see what the truck is doing.

04 f350

Reaction score
We drive 8000 lb trucks if ppl are so worried about mileage they shoulda got a Prius. You control how good your mileage is plain and simple, I don't feel I get that much better fuel mileage tuned or not tuned, if there is a difference its very minimal

Josh923

Reaction score
Everyone always says they will. You will see 1-4 mpg. Yeah yeah, great selling point.

Stock 6.0's get 12-20, tuned 6.0's get 12-20. It's all in how you drive, tire's, lift and weather. I had a perfect weather day once and got 25 mpg running 80. 40 mph tail wind was the help. Not the tuning. Lol.

If you got live tuning it would help you the most because live tuning is for your truck only. They can see what it's doing. E mail tunes are still a nicer caned tune. The tuner can't see what the truck is doing.

This.

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
If I set the cruise at 70 and get 1-2mpg better hand calculated, that's in the tune.

It's not "all in how you drive". Just like it's not "all in the tune".

powerlifter405

Reaction score
Stock I see 18mpg or there abouts calc by hand at 60-75.

SCT canned I'm 17-18 at 60-75mph.

GH I see max of 16.5. I've emailed matt a few times so hopefully I can get the odd change figured out.

I use the cruise when possible. I've made 2 trips that were over 1500 miles round trip and at one point pulling a uhaul alluminum 2 axle vehicle trailer and a mid 80's dodge 150. I got better mileage stock vs canned sct or GH when pulling the trailer.

I think it's hit or miss, having owned this, 2-7.3's and a 6.4, all having been tuned.

Latest posts

Members online