Project C10 gasser for now

StrokiNDieseL

Reaction score
Project was started in 08, 4 shops later w/thousands lost & hopefully down to the final stretch here (so we hope until we swop a diesel in after some track time). Project originally was a show/go 496ci but 1st shop got me for $24K, 3yrs & built a motor w/no run times.. So I played repo man after hearing every excuse known & original guy who took all my cash disappeared, fun chit it was :jawdrop:. Pic show after repo, I basically only rec'd used parts & a motor..

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    870.8 KB · Views: 114

StrokiNDieseL

Reaction score
So I started work on project myself turning in into drag only, learning Tig welding (millers diverson series) and doing stuff out of home garage. Had this roller put together 1st..

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 82

StrokiNDieseL

Reaction score
.... Can't fit multi pics guys sorry, Frame/cab was treated & underside also & painted. Then I placed cab & motor in & sent back to chassis shop b/c caging it for my safety concern was just not at that skill level quite yet..

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 95

StrokiNDieseL

Reaction score
Truck then sat at this chassis shop for 2.5yrs... And the I asked to go in & help build tubs & help finish work w/still paying my bill & cleaning shop b/c he let me in to so teach me a few fabrication tricks since I've now started a new hobbie due to my hiway robberies at this point.... This guy did help get motor running & also showed me how to set up ignitions so I do appreciate his time he spent w/me.

Weeks went by again b/c I've got a family biz to run myself, seen this builder at track measure launches for other work he's had a shop & I asked if I could come back in & complete a few thingsto move this outta his shop & go forward. Reply was nope too busy w/other project, so repo man was put to work again since 3yrs were rolling up & a unfinished 12pt cages was done & my tubs I did on my personal time using my tools and nothing else..

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 82

StrokiNDieseL

Reaction score
Truck picked up weeks later & sent to American Motorsports for a complete Supergas build.

Built sheet:
496ci/TH400 3speed
9" 4.30, 35 spline, spooled/narrowed.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 86
Last edited:

StrokiNDieseL

Reaction score
hopefully not much longer, was hoping to get a pass in b4 Lil guy gets he but that's unlikey now as he should arrive this week.. I'll keep this up to date as it move towards final turn key stages. I know I've bounced all around all, questions ask away. Jayson

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 71

248superduty

Reaction score
Ive seen this happen to so many guys and it pisses me off. Hope you have good luck from now on.

StrokiNDieseL

Reaction score
Ive seen this happen to so many guys and it pisses me off. Hope you have good luck from now on.

Me too, reliving the same BS now it seems w/my 6.4L (reason for my aviator) motor rebuld.. Shops have closed doors, removed signs & disappear. Another lesson learned to do chit yourself or don't pay a dime until finished.

matt92idi

Reaction score
That sucks to hear man. That's why I haven't let anyone touch my 65 c-10 unless they are highly trusted because there is just too much that could go wrong and the truck has too much sentimental value but looks like it should be a fun truck once it's done. What year is it exactly? 86ish? What kind of numbers is the motor supposed to make?

StrokiNDieseL

Reaction score
That sucks to hear man. That's why I haven't let anyone touch my 65 c-10 unless they are highly trusted because there is just too much that could go wrong and the truck has too much sentimental value but looks like it should be a fun truck once it's done. What year is it exactly? 86ish? What kind of numbers is the motor supposed to make?

86 it is, I wanted an earlier body style after selecting this one myself but was getting in too deep to change things.. It is ashame, what goes around comes back around or those ***'s needed it more than I did I've learned to tell myself.

On the motor side I really couldn't speak on, 7.4L block stroked w/invoice saying 489ci stroker kit. Close ones helping say 496ci, my hopes are base line 525ish(Hp) all fuel. Truck is currently being setup for Supergas (9.90?), IDK if it's worth looking into lungs or just engine swop altogether once passes can actually be made. Here's a cam pic

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    919.8 KB · Views: 59

matt92idi

Reaction score
What year where you looking for? Those short bed trucks just look so clean it's hard to beat that style and they are every where but what trans are you using? I'm assuming a 350/400? I was going to take the big block route but after seeing the numbers you can make of a turboed 5.3 or 4.8 it's hard to beat really plus then you still have fuel injection and no carburetor to mess with.

StrokiNDieseL

Reaction score
Th400, 3 speed. 68-72 I think is the squarer body yrs but the 73-86 bodies look very clean done correctly like anything else. Efi is also a consideration in the future also if I plan to add to the BBC platform.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    166.4 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:

StrokiNDieseL

Reaction score
Change of plans much sooner than expected... An Unfortunate deal left me w/an extra 6.4L block to start this diesel swop. Original gas motor looks to be weak for my build progress so what a perfect opportunity to start on the motor swop! I'll have more details as time progresses on exactly what's going on for lungs & tranny. Motor will be fully built w/no weak link hopefully.

Question for you HP/Torgue guys on tranny's. thouthts on a TH400 manual valve body holding up on a "strip only" setup weighting 3K lbs lighter than what they were originally meant to go in? Or staying w/a comp 5R would be a more reliable option?

StrokiNDieseL

Reaction score
She's home for now, Ol' 6.4L will be going in!!! Mods can I get a thread name adjustment? Lol.

Headed to chassis shop for 6.4 block to be set as low as we can get it, funny car cage portion added also. Only other details released right now are twin 70mm Garret's, dual pumps, 5R is in the air.. Truck should weight 3K lbs or around there so it'll be an animal!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    883.7 KB · Views: 72

Latest posts

Members online