Protecting Unused Plugs

UpstateDieselGuy

Reaction score
I'm going to be upgrading the truck very soon and was wondering if anyone has tried to cover their connectors with a shrink cap after putting electrical grease on them? I live in the high corrosion northeast and want to make sure to keep them in good shape. I'm Thinking the shrink cap will seal nice and tight, yet fairly easy to remove. Any thoughts?

Chris

Stangr8cr

Reaction score
I use balloons over the plugs and that's worked well for me but I also return to stock once a year and haven't had a sensor problem as of yet.

Keith

Stangr8cr

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm in TN. so it's not much of a concern here. The ballons are kinda thin after a year but I used a finger off a nitrile glove for the O2 sensor behind the DPF with a zip tie and that held up very well. I may do that this go round.

Keith

sootie

Reaction score
plug the sensors in and tie them up out of the way. any other method is a crap shoot.

i used to pack them with dielectric grease and wrap a ziplock bag around them and even that let corrosion in...

ftast350

Reaction score
Just cut em off and put them in the tool box....they will stay nice and clean!
LOL
I am kidding of coarse. Dielectric grease, Rubber tape (not just electrical tape) and a small balloon or bag taped close should do a fairly good job. Make sure to pull the rubber tape really tight and twist to sticky side out so the connector isn't sticky if you take it off.
If rubber tape will keep moisture out of electrical connections in a rainstorm then it should do the trick.

Reaction score
I went the uneconomic way and just cut all the plugs off the sensors and reinstalled them. Now I just need to find out what the plugs are from the EGR and get some pig tails to plug them in.

Mark13

Reaction score
I'm going to be upgrading the truck very soon and was wondering if anyone has tried to cover their connectors with a shrink cap after putting electrical grease on them? I live in the high corrosion northeast and want to make sure to keep them in good shape. I'm Thinking the shrink cap will seal nice and tight, yet fairly easy to remove. Any thoughts?

Chris

1/2" PVC caps with head shrink stuck to them and onto the wires over the sensor plugs. Pack the plug full of dielectric grease too.

rob05

Reaction score
I packed mine with dielectric grease and then put a layer of electrical tape, a layer of 10mil pipe tape and then used a zip tie to make sure the tape wouldn't come undone. No problems so far.

UpstateDieselGuy

Reaction score
I got everything off last night and greased it. Now I just need to cover them all. I spent way too much time under there yesterday and needed a break.

Latest posts

Members online