Pull the cab or pull the motor?

woodduck97

Reaction score
After Rudy's I plan to install ARP head studs, comp 910 valve springs, push rods, and new injector orings again. I have a lift available to lift the cab up and also have a shop to be able to put the motor on a stand to do this. What is you guys opinions on doing this? Also if I pull the motor I may just paint the motor too.

ToMang07

Reaction score
Well... IMO... pull the engine. Especially if paint is desired. :rockon:

Vader's Fury

Reaction score
Have you ever had your cab off before?

If not I would just pull the motor. I have had the cab off 2 of my trucks. One twice and the other is still off. For the work you are talking I would pull the motor.

woodduck97

Reaction score
Have you ever had your cab off before?

If not I would just pull the motor. I have had the cab off 2 of my trucks. One twice and the other is still off. For the work you are talking I would pull the motor.

Nope never have. I am leaning towards the motor being pulled as well.

PowerstrokeJunkie

Reaction score
You can just do the work cab-on, with engine in the frame rails? by the time you got the engine out and count the time to install it again, i could be bolting the valve covers back on :shrug:

Estrogen Hostage

Reaction score
Pulling the cab is easy. Like a few hours easy. Mine is off right now.

6 bolts holding it on, undo steering shaft, brake lines, two electrical plugs under the brake booster, the body plug also under the brake booster, and the e brake cable. Leave the AC compressor with the truck cab, wired to the radiator support. I pulled the radiator but not the fan. The slave cylinder on the transmission pops right off, don't undo the fitting.

Marty

Reaction score
Either is fine, but you will be doing either just to paint it because it is faster to do it all in-cab.

PS... did you already buy the ARP's?

woodduck97

Reaction score
Yeah idk what I want to do just yet. In cab would be faster. I may just presure wash it while it is still in the truck to get it cleaner. Yeah I already bought a set of ARP's.

bad12jr

Reaction score
I'd pull the trans first with the truck on the lift then I'd pull the motor. It was pita to try to line the 1000 pound motor up with the input then the 300 pound transmission would have been. And then you can clean it all and do some pm's here and there too.

Sent from my DROID X2 chillin somewhere

powerstrokedkid87

Reaction score
from what i have heard, pulling the cab on an OBS if you dont know what your doing is a PIA (thats is ofcourse me assuming this is an OBS truck were talking about)

Motor is best iMhp

Reaction score
For sure pull the motor. Especially if your going to be painting. If your not going to paint still I would pull the motor. Yes even though it can all be done with motor still in but why not check for leaks...ect? Don't take that long to pull it.
Good luck. What colors are you thinking paint wise? If you decide to paint?

woodduck97

Reaction score
If I do pull the motor I was thinking some sort of blue or a lime green. Not sure yet though. I would probly re seal the oil cooler and put a new waterpump on and get the oil pan clean and painted real well to stop any rust that is on it.

Reaction score
If I do pull the motor I was thinking some sort of blue or a lime green. Not sure yet though. I would probly re seal the oil cooler and put a new waterpump on and get the oil pan clean and painted real well to stop any rust that is on it.

Sounds good to me. I would do a blue just throwing my opinion out haha

Dieselfever

Reaction score
Pulling the cab is easy. Like a few hours easy. Mine is off right now.

6 bolts holding it on, undo steering shaft, brake lines, two electrical plugs under the brake booster, the body plug also under the brake booster, and the e brake cable. Leave the AC compressor with the truck cab, wired to the radiator support. I pulled the radiator but not the fan. The slave cylinder on the transmission pops right off, don't undo the fitting.

Agreed!

2135635390063062029svhSaf_ph.jpg

4" Downpipe!

2398556850063062029MpUdwT_ph.jpg

But I'm dropping the trans and pulling the engine on my '97

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
You guys honestly think installing head studs with the engine installed and the cab on is easier and faster than pulling the engine or lifting the cab?

If it was in my shop - engine out and on the stand - or cab off depending on what all other work needed to be done - but I would lean to pulling the motor on an OBS that has never had the cab off before.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.