pulled over for HIDs

tmillburg

Reaction score
was on my way down to TX, i was haulin a 18 foot open bow and a harley in the bed, so my lights werent exactly point at a great angle, cop said that i had my brights on comin up behind him, then ask to see my brights, then said ok lets see your dims, and of coarse the dims are brighter cuz of the fogs. jus got a warning

Translated from Morse Code

florida 6.0

Reaction score
Not to many people that drive for a living care for HID's let alone on a truck . I switched out to the silver
star bulbs and hella fogs and quit having problems .

91turbogsx

Reaction score
MA just got a printout today on inspection machines reminding inspectors to fail every vehicle with a HID conversion. It's a federal law.

morepower02

Reaction score
Can't stand meeting a truck with them bright pieces of chit not adjusted.

01PSD

Reaction score
When my bro had his 6000k's in I passed him a few times on our road and it really wasn't that bad. We angled them down pretty good, and as long as you don't try to stare at them you'll be ok LOL

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
The problem isn't the HIDs - the problem is everyone putting HID bulbs into Halogen housings placing the light filament in a location where the headlight housing can't do its job correctly. HIDs must be installed into HID projector housings to have excellent light output and not piss off everyone on the road. Most of the "projector" housings out there that are available for these trucks are not HID projector housings, but halogen projector housings.

I've been looking into doing an HID conversion on the Dmax - I figure by the time I gut a set of halogen housings, install HID bi-xenon projectors (for highs and lows) - I'll probably be into the lights $750 doing it correctly and starting with new ebay housings.

Example - take a look at these bulbs:
HID%20Halogen%20Comparison1.jpg

That makes a HUGE difference when you are designing a reflector to be able to put light where you want and need it.

Also - sometimes brighter does not mean that you can see better.

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
Here is a good example of an HID in a Halogen housing on "low beams" - notice how the light is actually everywhere?
bothonsidebysidebackviera0.jpg

Now, HIDs in HID projector housings in "low beam" - notice the extremely sharp cut off?
cutoff.jpg

Aiming them down helps marginally - the real problem is the incorrect bulb for the housing design.

sniper_101

Reaction score
^Exactly!

HID's don't belong in reflector housings designed for Halogen bulbs. Personally, I love to see the anti-HID laws enforced if they're in the incorrect housings. If you have them in an HID specific projector, then all the power to ya, you'll have far better light output and other people on the road won't have to deal with your ignorance . . .

This coming from someone that spends a lot of time on the road making a living. Nothing more annoying than trying to see your lane with a prick with crappy lights coming at you, be it in a car, my pickup or the semi.

Last edited:

jkidd_39

Reaction score
The main thing is to set your light down with HIDs. I do a lot of night driving pulling equipment all over the country. All my trucks will have HIDs and I really could care less about the other people on the road. Actually I care about them just as much as they care about me.

My vision of my surroundings is priority number one.

Does anyone even make a HID designed housing for a superduty???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk while pulling a 36ft gooseneck and not paying attention to the road.

morepower02

Reaction score
All my trucks will have HIDs and I really could care less about the other people on the road. Actually I care about them just as much as they care about me.

QUOTE]

When you get hit head on by the guy you blinded you might care..

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
The main thing is to set your light down with HIDs. I do a lot of night driving pulling equipment all over the country. All my trucks will have HIDs and I really could care less about the other people on the road. Actually I care about them just as much as they care about me.

Does anyone even make a HID designed housing for a superduty???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk while pulling a 36ft gooseneck and not paying attention to the road.

1) This all about me - screw everyone else attitude is a big part of the problem. If everyone on the road had that attitude it would be complete chaos. I attribute the current crop of guys blinding other guys on the road with shear lack of education about what they are doing. They don't know any better, so they think its good. Its the Wile E. Coyote factor - he doesn't fall into the canyon until he is taught about gravity - he doesn't know any better.

wile_e_coyote_gravity.jpg

2) You would see better if you had correct bulbs for your housings - putting the wrong bulbs in the housing does not help anyone - yourself included. Sure they might be "brighter" but brighter does not equate to being able see better. Good high quality light around the 4300-5000K area that is correctly and controllably dispersed will do wonders for actually seeing objects in the dark.

3) I can't think of any HID specific projector housings - but I can think if a few aftermarket Halogen projector housings - the actual quality of these might be suspect and you really need to do some research. Some have had OK luck with putting HIDs into Halogen projector housings - but its not recommended and is really only a case by case basis.

Snake

Reaction score

And your vision of your surroundings goes to crap if you're on the receiving end.

*** everyone else, right? As long as YOU can see. Maybe one day we'll pass each other on a stretch of road and I'll leave my 20" Rigid LED light bar on. I can see better with it, so why should I care about how it impacts your ability to see?

Tom S

Reaction score
I am also on the general list of HID haters. I am way sick of being blinded. I think a few vehicles would get some attention from me if I was working at night.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.