Pulling cab with forklift

PSD-BLACK-CLOUD

Reaction score
I think I blew my head gaskets last night on my way home. Dropping the truck off at a shop is out of the question at this point and time. I was thinking about building an attachment for our forklift out of 4" square tubbing that would run through the cab to lift it. Will the top of the cab support the weight and have any of y'all done this?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ghohouston

Reaction score
I think I blew my head gaskets last night on my way home. Dropping the truck off at a shop is out of the question at this point and time. I was thinking about building an attachment for our forklift out of 4" square tubbing that would run through the cab to lift it. Will the top of the cab support the weight and have any of y'all done this?

I would opt for some long lifting straps to go under the cab. I'd be afraid of hurting the top of the cab the way you're talking about. But can't say for sure

webb06

Reaction score

I did something similar before we had a shop lift on my old 6.0. Ran a 4x6 through the front and rear door openings (I left the doors open for stronger support) then used an overhead crane to lift the cab off. Can't remember if we had to support the front below the grille or not. I'm thinking we didn't. I'll see if I can dig up some pictures.

PSD-BLACK-CLOUD

Reaction score
I used to work at an LKQ yard and we lifted empty shells by the roof all the time

I figured if the attachment went all the way through and was wrapped in carpet it wouldn't hurt it.
Did hall take the doors off or leave them on?

PSD-BLACK-CLOUD

Reaction score
How hard is it to do cab on? On my dodge it was done cab on but there was a lot more room.

ghohouston

Reaction score
How hard is it to do cab on? On my dodge it was done cab on but there was a lot more room.

I wouldn't mess with it in frame. Either take the 4 hours to pull the motor, or pull the cab. With a forklift, you obviously have the ability to do either.

PSD-BLACK-CLOUD

Reaction score
I did something similar before we had a shop lift on my old 6.0. Ran a 4x6 through the front and rear door openings (I left the doors open for stronger support) then used an overhead crane to lift the cab off. Can't remember if we had to support the front below the grille or not. I'm thinking we didn't. I'll see if I can dig up some pictures.

Thank you

Cab stayed on

Reaction score
I've done them with the cab on and the cab off but only once. I always leave the cab on to me it seems faster. I usually just pull the radiator , intercooler, condenser and stand right In the front and do my thing there's plenty of room, however I've done it without taking it all out and setting the heads was a real pain.

webb06

Reaction score
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425953859.053191.jpg
After I got it high enough we just rolled the chassis and bed under the cab so I had room to work.

ghohouston

Reaction score
I am considering crushing it with the dozer. Lol

Lmao. Honestly, since those guys said they've pulled the cab like that before, I wouldn't hesitate. It'll save you alot of time than doing it cab on, or with the motor still in, and be alot easier on everyyhing.

PSD-BLACK-CLOUD

Reaction score
I've done them with the cab on and the cab off but only once. I always leave the cab on to me it seems faster. I usually just pull the radiator , intercooler, condenser and stand right In the front and do my thing there's plenty of room, however I've done it without taking it all out and setting the heads was a real pain.

I have a full replacement that is welded on.

PSD-BLACK-CLOUD

Reaction score
View attachment 35000
After I got it high enough we just rolled the chassis and bed under the cab so I had room to work.

I think I am going to do it this way. What all did you do when you went in. I am going with a non Vgt turbo, bigger down pipe, going to do a egr delete, probably a coolant filter, and possibly a new oil cooler while I am in there. I can't do much more than that because I am about to sign on a house. Fkn truck had great timing.

webb06

Reaction score
I think I am going to do it this way. What all did you do when you went in. I am going with a non Vgt turbo, bigger down pipe, going to do a egr delete, probably a coolant filter, and possibly a new oil cooler while I am in there. I can't do much more than that because I am about to sign on a house. Fkn truck had great timing.

That was like 6 years ago when I did that. All I did was Headstuds on it.

Latest posts

Members online