Pulling HPOP Advice

Fordguy100

Reaction score
I am almost positive that the check ball (some call it a ball bearing) that is in the side of the HPOP has found its way out. Lost power, and now at a hot idle the oil pressure gauge (if you can call it that) registered naught at idle, meaning less than 8psi.

Anyways, so I'm going to pull the HPOP out and fix it (tap it and install plug). What I need to know is what I need to change, and what I should change when doing this. This is on a 04 Excursion.

I have never pulled an HPOP but have literally been right there when doing an EGR delete and then again when I did the BPD oil cooler.

smokin06

Reaction score
its not bad as it sounds, I pull hpops to do the stc on the late 04-07s and have it all done in about an hour.. just do all necessary to pull turbo, take the three bolts holding the turbo in place, and remove turbo, then the cover is easy to just take off, take your ipr out before the cover though as a precautionary measure.. then you're at the hpop and its only a few bolts till you can remove it.

Jarrod B

Reaction score
I think getting the ipr out was more of a nussance than the whole job when I did the stc fittings.

Oh be damn sure not to drop any bolts in the engine when it is open lol.

birddog55

Reaction score
Should you buy a new pump or just tsp and plug it? Mine went out I plugged it and still cannot get truck to run.

Fordguy100

Reaction score
Well, I'm playing Where's Waldo with that ball that fell out (confirmed). Nowhere to be found. I'm going to order a ebay borescope and put it to use, but I dont know if I will find it. Is the ball small enough to come out of the oil pan drain?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.